Looking toward the future

Reaction score
I am a long time reader, have just recently registered and started posting, etc--

I am a soon to be switcher--and was wondering a few things--

I want a 13" macbook pro, and from everything I've read, it seems that a sandy bridge update is impending...is this accurate? Is this the processor most likely due to replace the core 2 duo in the 13 mbp?

Also--do you think that the prices of ssd will go down significantly in the next 6 months?

I'm hoping to get an updated mbp 13" with an updated processor and ssd--any insight or advice you can give is appreciated.

I'm not in a hurry, but want to make sure that I get what I need.
I have no problem even waiting for Lion to come out, if it is going to offer significant changes--I am not sure if they will update the 13" mbp before then?

I am a teacher, so I work on stuff for my students on my computer. I will be making short videos, and exploring some of the mac tools to integrate into my classroom--I just really want to future proof myself a bit as I tend to keep a computer for a LONG time.

I currently have a Dell Inspiron 710m that was built with maxed specs for that model at the time and still running well after 3 crashes and reinstalls of the os (lol) but I'm ready to start thinking about something new. (thank god for external hard drives)

I can wait as long as I can see an upgrade coming in the future.

I'm sorry this is so long...and thanks for any advice you can give!

Amanda :Confused:

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yes an update is coming. When and what is being updated, we don't know.

C

chas_m

I want a 13" macbook pro, and from everything I've read, it seems that a sandy bridge update is impending...is this accurate? Is this the processor most likely due to replace the core 2 duo in the 13 mbp?

There will ALWAYS be another update "just around the corner." This is a fool's game. Buy what you need when you need it and don't worry about it for two sound reasons:

1. Macs retain a high selling price for quite a while, so if six months later a *substantially* better model emerges, you can sell your old one for close to what you paid for it, and call the difference a "use fee" and go to buy the one you want.

2. In point of fact, Apple only *occasionally* revamps a model to the point where it renders the old one moot. I'm using a Blackbook from 2007 and only just now starting to feel that I could replace it. The iPhone 4 was the first iPhone I thought was a *compelling* upgrade from my original iPhone (which still works great btw). People buy into hype and place *entirely* too much emphasis on buzzwords they barely understand, more so in the PC world but here in Apple-land as well.

Also--do you think that the prices of ssd will go down significantly in the next 6 months?

Retail? Hmmm.

Wholesale? Steve seems to think so, and he's smarter than me.

I'm hoping to get an updated mbp 13" with an updated processor and ssd--any insight or advice you can give is appreciated.

See you this summer, most likely. If I had to guess, Apple will revamp the MacBooks/MBPs in time for back-to-school, and that runs into the timeframe of Lion, seems like a natural pairing. Could be wrong of course.

I have no problem even waiting for Lion to come out, if it is going to offer significant changes--I am not sure if they will update the 13" mbp before then?

Nobody outside Apple knows.

Lion will be feature-packed, that much is clear. Some big changes on the way, judging from the preview. My guess is that the WWDC will be a little earlier than usual this year ...

I am a teacher, so I work on stuff for my students on my computer. I will be making short videos, and exploring some of the mac tools to integrate into my classroom--I just really want to future proof myself a bit as I tend to keep a computer for a LONG time.

The only way to "future proof" yourself is to buy a machine that's right for you needs when you need it. See above, you can't beat the rat race of ever-evolving change -- you can only refuse to play the game

OP
Btrthnezr3
Reaction score
Thank you all for your input. Since I don't need one right mow, i will be waiting for this summer and some new features lion may bring as well as some hopeful tech updates n

All the best.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.