Convert FAT32 to NTFS files on MAC, possible?

Reaction score
Hello!

I have a LaCie 1TB hard disk external drive with important files (file type DOS_FAT_32, according to Testdisk software), that I can't get to mount on WINDOWS XP PRO.

The thing is I used to use that external drive with a Mac, OS X 10. 5 and all went well: the drive mounted and I could read the files, without ever having any difficulties.

Now, for a great number of reasons, to depressing to relate here, I'm stuck with using the referred Windows XP machine.

My question: is there any way to convert those weird behaviouring 'DOS_FAT_32' files into NTFS, on a Mac computer?

I pose the questions out of two reasons:

a). In principle, the Win XP will for sure be able to read NTFS files (of course);
b). I will be having temporarly access to a Mac machine, where
- I know my LaCie drive will mount,
- and the only place where I can access the drive to reformat the files.

The kindest regards!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you attach that drive to your PC can it be seen from Disk Manager? (Admin Tools, Disk Manager)

Also, I don't understand what it is you're trying to do? You say that you have to use a PC (XP Pro) but then you ask if the drive can be formatted on a Mac? It doesn't make sense. Anyway, Disk Utility from OS X does not support formatting to NTFS. If your PC can't see the drive and it's formatted to FAT-32, something may be corrupt or the drive itself may be defective.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
If you can copy all your data from the drive onto your mac computer then reformat it to FAT, then try to see if it can be read on the XP Pro machine, only problem is that even if you then formatted it to NTFS on the XP machine OSX can't write to that format.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help!

When I plug in the external hard disk drive to my PC (XP Pro), it does show on Device Manager, only I can't access it (the only thing I'm allowed to do is 'right click' partition). Also, of course, it won't mount to Desktop, nor to My Computer.

Since I know for sure I can access the external drive on a Mac (OS X 10.5) - done it several times - and since I can borrow one from a friend, I was wondering if I could convert FAT 32 to NTFS directly there... hence the question ''convert FAT 32 to NTFS on a Mac, possible?''.

I agree there something odd about the way the drive was originally partitioned and formatted (not by myself).

Think I'm gonna try Buzzard's hint.

Cheers!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Try mounting the drive using Disk Management in Windows (right-click My Computer, click Manage and go to Disk Management). You should be able to see the volume and force it to mount.

OP
S
Reaction score
Errata:

Where says ''it does show on Device Manager'',

it should say, of course ''it does show on Disk Manager''.

Furthermore, Disk Manager labels the drive as ''Online'', but ''Unallocated''.

Cheers!

OP
S
Reaction score
Probably gonna sound naive, but once on Disk Manager, and seeing the external disk labeled as ''online'' and ''unallocated'', how can I force it to mount?

thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Disk Manager is telling you that the drive is not formatted/partitioned, or it doesn't understand the format, hence, the "unallocated" message. Sounds like that drive may be formatted to HFS+ or maybe it really is "unallocated."

You can not mount an unallocated drive with Disk Manager. It must be partitioned and formatted first. Be careful before doing any partitioning or formatting. Check to see if there is any data on the drive in case it is formatted to HFS+.

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok,
unable to solve the problem any differently:

a) got myself another external disk drive ("AIRY 1 TB external drive" for less than 35 euros... a silly name for brand, still, storage is getting very cheap, very fast);

b) backed up all the files from my weird DOS_FAT32 formatted LaCie external drive to a friend's Macbook internal disk and subsequently saved them on my new FAT32 formatted AIRY disk

c) reformatted LaCie to FAT32, effortlessly with EASEUS Partition Manager... et voilà, finally able to reuse LaCie on my PC.

Thanks!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, glad you got it sorted out. Thanks for posting back. Have fun and visit often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.