iTunes - Switching between Apple Lossless and AAC

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
iTunes - Switching between AIFF and AAC

When I buy a new CD, I immediately rip it to my hard drive in AIFF format, then burn it to a another CD as a backup of the original in case of scratches, etc.

Then I rip the original to AAC to listen to on my Mac.

My question is this: What would be a more convenient way for me to switch between the two ripping methods. I don't like having to go into iTunes preferences and changing the method there every time. It's kind of annoying!

I don't have my iBook with me at this very moment, so I can't try this out myself but is there an option to create an Automator workflow for this?

- vr04

I meant to say AIFF, not Apple Lossless, sorry.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No one has any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
vr04 said:
No one has any ideas?

Well, I'm new to mac (literally thursday night)...but if you or someone you know or someone on the forum was kind enough to do it for you, you could probably use Automater or write on AppleScript.

Just a thought...

Taylor

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, there's also the inconvenience of iTunes automatically importing the AIFFs into its library. I wish it wouldn't do that. Again, I know that option can be disabled, but it's rather inconvenient to switch back and forth all the time. I WANT my AACs to be imported into the library, but not so with the AIFFs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.