Newbie questions

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new to the forum and need some advice.... I have a 20" Imac G5 with OSX 10.4.11 in the past I had the same machine but with this one (same OSX) I can't get my iphone to sync with Itunes as I need a later version, but I can't install the later version as I need a differant OSX apparently.

Also I used to use Limewire but can't download that either.... I know we might not be able to talk about Filesharing apps like Limewire on here so excuse me if it's not allowed....

I've ran all the updates and am up to date but can't seem to get anywhere with the above.

can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Smiffy

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You haven't told us, but if you have the iPhone 4, you will need to upgrade your Mac to 10.5.8.

The discussion of p2p apps is fine. They are not illegal in and of themselves. Any discussion pertaining to pirating music will not be allowed, and this is and always has been the primary focus of Limewire. Not to mention that it has been one of the prime purveyors of virii, trojans, etc.

Reaction score
You're going to need to buy leopard/snow leopard. But I'm not sure if Snow Leopard works on PPC. Or you could buy a new macbook Air, they look nice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Snow Leopard will not install on a PPC, purchase Leopard and update to OS X.5.8 and stay away from those pirate sites for the good of your Mac.

C

chas_m

Here's all the above suggestions boiled down into an action plan:

1. Buy Leopard. It's no longer offered in stores (Snow Leopard is not the same thing and is incompatible with a G5), but you can find *retail copies* (this is important, do NOT get grey "machine" disks of Leopard!) from Ebay, Craigslist and Mac User Group members. Expect to pay about $130 for it, hopefully you'll find a deal but make sure it's a legit RETAIL copy.

2. Once you've upgraded to Leopard, buy an external hard drive (if you don't already have one) and use Time Machine to make backups (or stick with your current method if that works for you). Hard drives are super cheap these days.

3. Open Software Update and let it run all the updates. When it's done, run Software Update again (and again) until all software is up-to-date, especially (for your purposes) iTunes (which should now be at version 10).

4. NOW plug your iPhone in and it should sync properly.

5. Avoid Limewire like the plague. Horrible nasty Java program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.