another new mini

E

elocs

I stopped by my authorized Apple reseller this morning, The Mac Guys, just to check on my mini order from last Friday and they said, "How did you know?"
The mini had just come in 5 minutes earlier. I was going to use it with my pc monitor and so I stopped at Best Buy to pick up a kvm switch. When I questioned the BB guy about which switch to get, telling him I had a Mac, he said "I hate Macs". Give that guy a gold star for great customer interaction.
The switch was about $53 and so I went over to look at the monitors, especially the 17" Westinghouse widescreen that matches the mini. It was on sale for $50 off at $249. I considered that minus the cost of the kvm switch it would bring the cost down to $200, so I got it. It looks great and I also got the Apple wireless keyboard and a wireless Kensington 2 button mouse.

Unfortunately I had a hard time getting the mini set up, which was very frustrating. It was frustrating because I work 3rd shift and Friday (today) is the start of my weekend and I don't sleep after work on Friday morning. So by late afternoon when I was trying to get the mini set up I had been up for over 24 hours and was figuring it to be a slam bang job and it wasn't. The trouble was that the mini could not recognize the wireless Kensington mouse.
My first 2 calls to the store I talked with a guy who was not my salesperson.
He treated me with that calm voice and demeanor like I was a child or the village idiot and I wanted to slap him. The 3rd time I talked with my salesman and he said to just come on down and he would lend me a mouse and keyboard for the weekend to get things set up and that did the trick. From then on it was clear sailing, even for a new Mac user. Amazingly I have been up for 32 hours now, but this is a great looking system and the monitor is great for the price.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Congrats on the new system, and let me telll you for being up that long, your post was spelled correctly and gramaticly correct and an easy read, I am dead tired right now, and only been up a mere 15-maybe 17 hours.. who knows I don't remember what time I woke up.. lol good luck with the system.

OP
E

elocs

Rob said:
That last time I was up for 24+ hours, I fell asleep at my laptop! lol

I think I got over the hump some hours ago and though I am tired, I am not sleepy. Also, now is about the time when I would have started work and been up all night, so I am programmed not to be tired at night. It was the worst when I was going through the frustration of getting the mini set up.

All in all I must say I am happy with the system I have ended up with even if it does approach the cost of a bottom of the line iMac. The iMac is cool, but the 20" Apple monitor really has a cleaner look to it and that is what I am looking forward to eventually getting and maybe the price will go down a little more. I had planned on using my old 15" lcd with the mini, but the 17" widescreen Westinghouse looks so good and the price was right.

Reaction score
i just got a mini 2 weeks ago myself, and i got the kensington wireless mouse and keyboard, and setup and everything went pretty smooth, everything is realy nice, i just wanna add more ram

OP
R

Rob

Oh yeah, and congrats on the new Mac! I just ordered my self a PowerBook a day or two ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
I think the worst computer related sleep deprevation I ever endured was actually in Hawaii... oddly enough.

I was there working for a conference company... Doing setup for A/V during the day and editing the video pieces for the conference itself at night. In 72 hours I got only 4 hours of sleep. By the third day I was seeing triple. But I got everything done in time and the overtime pay made it plenty worth it.

Back to the sorta-topic... the next worse time was when I got my first laptop... It was a PC... but it was still cool to me at the time... I don't think I would trade sleep for time on a computer anymore... sleep has just become to valuable to me.

OP
R

Rob

Well I have an even weirder sleep/computer story :p
Ok so I went to bed one night with my laptop on my desk. When I woke up, my laptop was on my chest and it was on and plugged in!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
Rob said:
Well I have an even weirder sleep/computer story :p
Ok so I went to bed one night with my laptop on my desk. When I woke up, my laptop was on my chest and it was on and plugged in!!

Ha!... I swear I have done the same thing at least once.

OP
E

elocs

bigchuckdiesel said:
i just got a mini 2 weeks ago myself, and i got the kensington wireless mouse and keyboard, and setup and everything went pretty smooth, everything is realy nice, i just wanna add more ram

My mini just would not recognize the Kensington wireless mouse. I would get a drawing of 2 mouses, the first one with the batteries out, indicating I needed to put batteries in even though they were in. I could get it to change to where the batteries were in the first drawing, but then it would change back to the picture of them being out. Then after 5 minutes the mini would go to sleep. I would go round and round with that and never get to a screen with a bluetooth icon where I could enable the mouse.
Once I had the wired mouse I got both it and the keyboard enabled right away. I couldn't use my pc mouse and keyboard because they are not usb and that is why my Mac store loaned me a set.
All's well that ends well.

OP
E

elocs

sarahsboy18 said:
I think the worst computer related sleep deprevation I ever endured was actually in Hawaii... oddly enough.

I was there working for a conference company... Doing setup for A/V during the day and editing the video pieces for the conference itself at night. In 72 hours I got only 4 hours of sleep. By the third day I was seeing triple. But I got everything done in time and the overtime pay made it plenty worth it.

Back to the sorta-topic... the next worse time was when I got my first laptop... It was a PC... but it was still cool to me at the time... I don't think I would trade sleep for time on a computer anymore... sleep has just become to valuable to me.

I am spoiled with sleep because I can sleep in everyday and just wake up when I have enough sleep. Usually it's 8 hours, sometimes less, sometimes more, but the great thing is that I do not need to wake up to an alarm since I start sleep in the morning within a couple of hours of finishing work. I switch to a more regular schedule on weekends, but I found that if I do not stay up longer on Friday I end up sleeping away most of my first day off. I rarely stay up this long continuosly. I usually get a short nap during the day on Friday, but circumstances prevented that this time because I ended up making 3 trips to the Mac store.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.