• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Erasing Free Space

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
now im wondering if erasing my free space is good. i think on the apple site it said it was good if you didnt want recovered items back so i started erasing my free space.. is it good? is it also okay to stop the erase during the middle of it? just curious

- iWonder (alot)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
What is erasing free space, please elaborate a bit more...

OP
iWonder
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 12" G4, 30 GB, 768 MB RAM. iPod 5G 30GB.
in disk utility you have the option to erase your free space on the macintosh harddrive. it makes sure that your trash wont have recovered files.. you know the ones that sometimes usually always get there (did that make sense!?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
it probuably made sense to people who have heard of it before, but I was jut confused I really did not know waht you were talking about I am sorry for not knowing if it is good or bad for your computer or not but if apple says it is, I am going to have to say that it is.

Reaction score
Basically, when you delete a file, it doesn't actually get erased from the hard drive, it is still written there. When you delete it is just allows the space to be written over if needed, so files can be recovered after deleted unless that spot is written over, which is what erasing free space does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mynameis said:
Basically, when you delete a file, it doesn't actually get erased from the hard drive, it is still written there. When you delete it is just allows the space to be written over if needed, so files can be recovered after deleted unless that spot is written over, which is what erasing free space does.

You can also use the "Secure Empty Trash" command to write over anything you delete. Unless your regularly deal with incriminating files, I think this is much more useful.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
When you erase a file the system removes the pointer to the file. The file remains on the system. That is just like removing the table of contents of a book, the chapters are still there, just not the location of the chapters. When using secure erase or the disk utility application to erase the free space, you are writing zero of the files being erased. That was the data that is erased can not be recovered easily.

Reaction score
in disk utility you have the option to erase your free space on the macintosh harddrive
I use Panther, in disk utility, erase will erase the whole HD, I believe in pc talk that would be format.. I could be wrong.
erase5tp.jpg

Reaction score
I think you are looking for this:

Click Here [Apple Support Page]

From reading that it appears you won't do any harm (there is no reason you should), just so long as you don't want any of the deleted files back.

It also states that stopping it will not cause damage.

Reaction score
jram said:
I use Panther, in disk utility, erase will erase the whole HD, I believe in pc talk that would be format.. I could be wrong.

I am pretty sure the erase free space option came with Tiger...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.