What Mac to purchase?

Reaction score
Hi, I am very very interested in switching to a Mac!! I intend to buy one, but my problem is i don't know what to buy.

I am currently using a windows (desktop replacement) laptop, which is linked via HDMI to my 42" Sony Bravia TV. I want to buy a Mac to replace this laptop.

Originally, I wanted to buy a 27" iMac (the lower specced one), simply because the specs are so great, and has a beautiful 27" Hi-res screen. However, recently I acquired this Sony Bravia so to me now the iMac seems a bit pointless as I have such a huge TV to go with it.

Someone recommended I get the Mac mini, but the specs on that doesn't seem to be as good.

Please recommend for me what would be my best option now! iMac, Mac mini or Macbook Pro. Anything over the price of the 27" iMac is too much for me at the moment I'm afraid :'(, so the Mac Pro is out of the question.

Thanks for your help guys!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

If hooking it to your Sony TV is a priority, a Mac notebook, iMac, or Mini will all do the job. It's what else you intend to use it for that will determine which Mac to buy. Do you need portability? Are you a gamer? What kind of applications do you normally use? And so on. Give us some answers to those questions as that will help in our recommendation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Believe it or not, no matter how good your tv's resolution is, the new imacs screen will WHOOP IT! I would rather go with a 27" imac than have a smaller version of the imac just to hook up to a big tv that has worse resolution. Just saying. The 27" is godly!
But if you insist on using the sony as a monitor, I would just buy a mac mini or a macboop pro.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the super fast reply guys, this is awesome.

I mainly use the pc for watching a lot of HD movies/TV, surfing, photo editing, a lot of microsoft office stuff and playing the odd games like WoW.

I know the resolution on the iMac is far superior but the size is smaller :(.

Also another factor would be that the iMac has no HDMI but DVI :Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Before you draw any conclusions about what to purchase... read the following Sticky Post regarding hooking up your Mac to a TV. Read through the entire thread and pay close attention to moderator bobtomay's remarks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.