.mac account

T

Teknik

I just purchased a powerbook (im a longtime windows user). And i was wondering what the purpose of a mac account is? Could somebody explain them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
its just a webbased email service
although you do get a "idisk" when you sign up

OP
T

Teknik

ah thanks for clearing that up. dont know why you would pay 100 bucks a year for a webmail account and some storage space....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I recently got one for doing Apple's sales programme and I must say, I find myself using it more than I had expected. Here's my roundup:

-The mail is ok - nothing special... easy to set up multiple aliases is cool, but not overwhelming.

-iCards are a nice way to send e-cards without sending people annoying links to ad-filled sites that they never open anyway (iCards are sent completely - not just linked), but this is ultimately just a bonus.

-Homepage & iDisk is quite cool to get stuff online quickly. Lets say I just saw something that I find interesting at home - I can quickly drag it to my iDisk folder. Now let's assume I'm at another computer: Not only can I access that file, I can also use the .mac web interface to publish it to my homepage or an entirely new page.
The iPhoto integration is also really nice.

It is also a lot faster than most other WebDAV services I have used, although those were mostly free ones...

So if you aren't really interested in having a "proper" website hosting plan, .mac is a cool quick alternative to help you get stuff online quickly.
There's nothing here you can't do for free as well though - but chances are that it's such a hassle that you end up not bothering.

OP
J

JuneSometime

I am a .mac member for the 2d year now, like someone above said webmail isn´t overwhelming but handy if you´re not at home. And I use idisk and homepage for my online photoalbum, syncing bookmarks and addresses is nice too.

Reaction score
Teknik said:
ah thanks for clearing that up. dont know why you would pay 100 bucks a year for a webmail account and some storage space....
I paid like 39 for a whole year I have used it numerous times for backup plus the pages I have in my signature for a hobby (pasttime) call them they'll work a deal with ya.(I did)

OP
B

badmojo

I use my .mac account to host electronic documents which my customers are able to download. It's easier to construct and less time consuming than a full blown web page, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookAir iPhone6
.mac

hi

its a whole lot more than webmail

idisk is a superb feature and even works with inferior computers running XP

homepage is also excellent, because it looks pure mac in all style and lineage

icards are without any equal because they look better than any other email cards

webmail works, syncing works everything in the same mac style and its like being part of an elite club. its simply for folk that want everything mac.

kind regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.