Wife trouble

Reaction score
Hi guys, new user here.

Recently bought myself a 27" imac, and by the way, loving it. However, I only managed to get permission from the wife after promising her that I would be able to reduce the screen size as per her request. What I mean is to have a "normal" sized screen with a black border, without having to scroll all over the place and without windows popping up outside these borders. She does not like the huge screen and I have managed to reduce all the windows temporarily but they revert back to normal size on re start. I'm not sure if I am explaining myself very well but I basically want to know how I can effectively have a say 18" screen on a 27" monitor?
I'm thinking this may not be possible but any help would be gratefully received.
Also, while I'm on, is it possible to set up applications on different accounts that effectively operate as a single application. For example, when I set up Plex to view all my DVD files on my account, when I viewed it on the missus account, I had to do it all over again. Obviously I didn't bother as it's not worth the hassle when she can do it on my account but the same still applies on iphoto and aperture and it is a bit of an aggravation to have to do it all twice, or to have to log out & back in again.

Thanks again

Gary

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Why not just put the monitor at a lower resolution, thus decreasing the distance that she will have to scroll while continuing to fill the screen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
Turn up tracking speed on mouse. way up.
Then learn to work that way. There is no way to scale up the interface and lower monitor resolutions is a horrid "solution" to the problem.
1st thing I do with a new machine/setup is turn the tracking all the way up. The acceleration apple uses (unlike a PC) makes the high tracking speed very usable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Install a keyboard tray. Push the monitor as far back on the desk as possible.

If that fails, have her use binoculars, backwards.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
You have a mini-display port. I guess you could always hookup a second smaller monitor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
You have a mini-display port. I guess you could always hookup a second smaller monitor.

A waste of that beautiful 27" iMac screen. Wouldn't that be akin to purchasing a Mac and only running Windows on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
That would be a bit like buying a luxury car, then cutting and shutting it to be a mid size sedan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
P.S. I wasn't taking a jab at you, Razormac. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Looks like your wife is wearing your pants! Take them back!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
P.S. I wasn't taking a jab at you, Razormac. :)
No offense taken. I gave up a long time ago trying to understand MY wife's likes and dislikes. Nor does she try to understand mine. :)
Just trying to provide some viable alternative . . . Though, personally I would vote for sitting farther from the screen or just accepting and reveling in that glorious 27" monitor. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Turn up tracking speed on mouse. way up.
Then learn to work that way. There is no way to scale up the interface and lower monitor resolutions is a horrid "solution" to the problem.
1st thing I do with a new machine/setup is turn the tracking all the way up. The acceleration apple uses (unlike a PC) makes the high tracking speed very usable.

I didn't say it was ideal, but telling the guy, "why would you want to do that? shut up and learn to live with it," doesn't really solve the problem.

OP
G
Reaction score
Yeah thanks for the tips guys, but if I tell her to just move the screen back I won't get laid for a month. The resolution thing I have tried but it's not a great solution, and I have already told her it's like buying a $2000 BBQ and using it to make cheese on toast. But thats women for you, what can you do.
Any advice on the application stuff I asked about??

Thanks

Gary

OP
G
Reaction score
s

Now that could work! Would the screen automatically shrink to fit the smaller screen or would it be the 27" display on the smaller screen, having to scroll etc?

Cheers

Gary

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it would shrink to fit the screen, when I had my Macbook Pro hooked up to a 23 inch monitor it enlarged the display to fit, so I imagine vice versa would be true also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I didn't say it was ideal, but telling the guy, "why would you want to do that? shut up and learn to live with it," doesn't really solve the problem.
Well, I never said that. You're taking what I said personally (bad idea on the internet).
Learning to use the mouse at higher tracking speeds is a real solution to navigating a big monitor. Lower screen resolutions are not only ugly but can cause severe eye strain. I said what I said to try to help.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm pretty sure it would shrink to fit the screen, when I had my Macbook Pro hooked up to a 23 inch monitor it enlarged the display to fit, so I imagine vice versa would be true also.

I agree. I think the display automatically scales to whatever size monitor (larger or smaller) that is hooked to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I never said that. You're taking what I said personally (bad idea on the internet).
Learning to use the mouse at higher tracking speeds is a real solution to navigating a big monitor. Lower screen resolutions are not only ugly but can cause severe eye strain. I said what I said to try to help.

fair enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Believe it or not, I was trying to be helpful also. The thing is, the objection to using something better than what you're used to is illogical. Case in point: First time I turned on Spaces, my wife hated it. So I turned it off. I waited until she complained about her Desktop getting cluttered. I turned it back on. After an initial "What's going on?" she got the hang of it, and now finds it very helpful.

So, find something that just doesn't fit on the smaller screen, and plop it down on that big one. Eventually, she'll come around. Does she use Stickies??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
Yeah thanks for the tips guys, but if I tell her to just move the screen back I won't get laid for a month. The resolution thing I have tried but it's not a great solution, and I have already told her it's like buying a $2000 BBQ and using it to make cheese on toast. But thats women for you, what can you do.
Any advice on the application stuff I asked about??

Thanks

Gary

What seems to work best in my house is for my wife to have her own computer. She prefers Windows anyway, so she leaves my Macs alone. Now my kids fight over the Macs.

Reaction score
Hi guys, new user here.

Recently bought myself a 27" imac, and by the way, loving it. However, I only managed to get permission from the wife after promising her that I would be able to reduce the screen size as per her request.

It seems to me that in order to get something, you made promises you weren't sure you'd be able to keep. Now, you're in trouble as keeping them is just not possible. Now that heart-desired gadget is being the Apple of Discord (pun intended).

What you really need to do is to admit this to her; and then tell her (shew her this thread even) that you've done all you've been able to try to keep your word, but that the solutions are just not feasible/practical.

Once you shew humility in admitting your mistake, she may shew humility and accept to learn something new and adapt to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.