Not impressed so far

Reaction score
What a disaster of a weekend.

I am hating this iMac!!

I've just switched from a PC that kept freezing up on me, but it was still faster online than this thing.

I've had no luck loading Windows7 and have trawled through countless posts from people with the same problem, i've now given up on that.

So i thought, oh well, i'll load iTunes then, that took forever to install cos it kept telling me to close iTunes when it wasn't open? Had to restart it to work.
Then i realised how much hassle it is to transfer your old iTunes library to a new computer, great news!

So, lets get the photos and movies off my iPhone then.... Nope, well, photos without effects yes, forget the others that i'd edited, didn't recognise them and showed a blank box?? Movies, nope 'can't download' or something like that, don't appear in iMovie either... I thought the mac would be great to use with my iPhone but its been nothing but a pain. Even opening this website doesn't happen sometimes when i click on the link from the history.

I've had enough of it already and feel like taking it back, but that's not going to be an option is it, what a waste of money, completely over it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Seriously what a joke!! I need to be online to transfer photos from my phone to the mac??? At least it started to import them when i tried being online, but then just stopped and gave up not even 1/8th of the way through?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Everything i've tried to do has just been a nightmare!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Are you asking for help or a shoulder to cry on?

If the former, let's start by calming down - it's a different OS and it will take time to learn. You didn't learn Windows overnight and the Mac will take some time to get used to as well.

Let's start with iTunes as I believe that is the major source of your frustration....

I'm a little confused as to what's going on there. iTunes is factory installed, so downloading it shouldn't be necessary. Are you saying that you're installing an update to it? If so, just let Apple Software Update do that (Apple Menu => Software Update). There's probably more than one update that needs to apply, just let it do its thing before you start rolling up your sleeves.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Additionally, I'm going to move this over the Switcher's forum as you'll find a lot more expertise there when it comes to migration issues.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another thought - if you bought the machine from an Apple Store, they will transfer your data from your PC to your Mac for free. Can you tell us how you acquired the machine?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Hmm... after reading this thread and the rest of the posts by arthouse in other threads, if possible, I think it would be a good idea if arthouse could put a bunch of questions into one thread in the switchers forum... in point form, after a very deep breath :)
Cross posting is not seen as good etiquette, so I wouldn't normally suggest this, but I can see a lot of frustration that I think could be alleviated by many of the knowledgeable members here if it were a well set out thread.
Hopefully the mods can clean up the other posts if this new thread comes to be. :D

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Let's try a novel idea..you bought an iMac that came installed with Mac OS X. How about trying to figure that out before trying to install Windows 7 on there through Boot camp?

And as others have said, let's keep the emotions down and the questions more focused on what you are trying to do..

Regards

OP
A
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant guys!

And thanks for the replies.

I clearly got worked up last night after an entire weekend of not so smooth operating of my iMac!
As advised, i will come back later and a ask a few questions in point form.
cwa107 - i have downloaded and installed the new version of iTunes, it was just long winded and took a few attempts, all is well now, thanks for your advise.

Will post again later..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Figuring out how to port everything from your PC to OS X can be a great way to learn the OS, but you'll hate the switch forever if something goes wrong - it would have been a lot simpler to let the Apple Store do it for you, as they iron out the kinks.

What probably happened here is that your iPhone software needed a newer version of iTunes than was on the iMac and when you plugged it in, it needed an internet connection.

For anyone switching from PC...

- When you first turn on your Mac, you'll want to play with it right away... but honestly, fight the urge and run software update and allow all updates to install. The same would be true of a new Windows machine.

- Backup everything on your Windows machine, photos, music, iPhone data... the lot. Things can and do go wrong... especially if you're in a rush

- Fight the urge to immediately install Windows on your Mac, unless it's mission critical (i.e. your income relies on it). OS X takes time to lean, but is very rewarding if it's given a chance

- Use the iLife applications to manage your media... lose that habit of managing files in Explorer... like this:

Export all of your photos to an external disk, then use iPhoto to import them. Almost every interaction applications have with your photos look for iPhoto first... same with Facebook and other web applications

If you're using iTunes on your PC for your music media or have an iPhone, do this step first. Go to preferences, advanced and click "Keep iTunes library organized", then go to file/library and select "organize library" and allow iTunes to consolidate library and upgrade to iTunes media organization. What this will do is allow iTunes to figure out where everything is, and write this information to an XML file.

Then... you can copy your entire iTunes folder to an external drive and then copy it to your Mac (over writing the old iTunes folder DON'T PUT IT IN THE FOLDER!)

When you open iTunes, your library should be there along with the Album Art and applications.

Phew. Told you it was easier to let Apple do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I would spend st least a week trying to do everything in the Mac OS that you used to do on the PC. If you then find there's no way to do something that you absolutely have to do on the Mac (not very likely for the average user in my experience), then consider maybe installing windows. Sounds like you didn't give the Mac much of a chance right out of the gate in which case your frustrations are most likely a case of PEBKAC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
What a disaster of a weekend.

I am hating this iMac!!

I've just switched from a PC that kept freezing up on me, but it was still faster online than this thing.

I've had no luck loading Windows7 and have trawled through countless posts from people with the same problem, i've now given up on that.

So i thought, oh well, i'll load iTunes then, that took forever to install cos it kept telling me to close iTunes when it wasn't open? Had to restart it to work.
Then i realised how much hassle it is to transfer your old iTunes library to a new computer, great news!

So, lets get the photos and movies off my iPhone then.... Nope, well, photos without effects yes, forget the others that i'd edited, didn't recognise them and showed a blank box?? Movies, nope 'can't download' or something like that, don't appear in iMovie either... I thought the mac would be great to use with my iPhone but its been nothing but a pain. Even opening this website doesn't happen sometimes when i click on the link from the history.

I've had enough of it already and feel like taking it back, but that's not going to be an option is it, what a waste of money, completely over it.

It was open. Your sour attitude won't help you any either, if you're looking for assistance. You can't just hit the x to close the window. You see that dot below the program on the dock? That means it's open. Get used to the concept of the dock. It's been implemented in every other OS, even the "new" windows 7 "task bar." You're also probably trying to run Firefox since you think you're a savvy PC user. Try Chrome, or the native Safari, which in OS X is very lightweight and fast. Learn how to adapt to the new OS. A lot of things are different with POSIX compliant systems. Flash runs differently. Different browsers are more or less efficient. A lot of information is available. Less moaning, more trying to figure it out. Otherwise, everything in your life, not just computing, is going to be a big pain in the butt.

So I'd try checking out the other sites mentioned, along with searching lifehacker and ars technica for some mac os x tutorials, and maybe even youtube.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks guys, well and truly calmed down after spitting the dummy last night! At least it drew some attention and i got some helpful replies, much appreciated.

I guess i was expecting things to be alot easier than they have been, and i can understand i've been trying to run before i can walk, in too much of a hurry. As advised i will slow down and suss the OS X out before slating it, for what it's worth i do actually love all the layouts on the mac, just need to not expect to have any problems!

One question for now;

I created a partition for Windows in Bootcamp, and have now erased the partition. When i switch the mac on, i still have to hold down alt and select Macintosh (no other option is shown). I tried switching on this morning without holding the alt key, it booted up fine but neither the mouse or keyboard responded. When i restarted it i held the alt key and all was good. Any ideas? Should i put one of my Apple insall DVDs in? (OS X install and Apps install)

Thanks again!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
When you are booted into OS X, go to >system preferences>startup disk, and select Mac OS partition.

OP
A
Reaction score
Magic mate, problem solved, thanks!!

Also, thanks to MYmacROX for those links... very helpful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.