Mac mini sd card works with server but not OSX

Reaction score
I have a new Mac mini that came with server 10.6 preinstalled. I installed OSX 10.6.3 with a retail disk, and SD cards stopped being recognized. I installed all software updates but still no SD card reader.
I reinstalled OSX server, and the SD card came back. Is there a driver that needs to be installed that is not in the OSX retail disk?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Did you run software update after loading 10.6.3?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yes, I did run all software updates.*
I noticed however that the server os has a .kext file in the extensions folder that is missing in the osx extensions folder. I'm not at my computer now, but it was named something like "appleSD..."
I looked for documentation on how to install a .kext manually but all I found where articles related to osx86.*

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't help you there because my machine does not have that extension since it does not have a SD card reader.

However, are you sure the version of Snow Leopard that you used to install on the Mini is in fact for the Mini? Or a retail copy of Snow Leopard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If it's a retail disk it should include all the drivers. Although I'm not sure about the upgrade disk. You might want to give Apple support a call and ask about that though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.