External Hard Drive Partition ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
I have a 160GB external hard drive and I'm looking to partition it. Should I split it 80GB/80GB for Mac OSX and Windows? Should I have more space for Mac OSX? Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
It depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking to use Time Machine to back-up files on your Mac, then you'll need one of the partitions to be Mac OS Extended.

If you're just using it to move files around and you'll encounter Windows computers, try installing MacFuse and then NTFS-3G which will allow your Mac to write to NTFS drives. This means you can have the whole drive without any partitions and have more space available to do stuff with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I have a 160GB external hard drive...

hmmmm... key-word there I think.

I don't think you'll want to be installing OS-X or Windows on that external at all! Would you not be wanting to install both on your internal drive for dual-boot purposes?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro - 2.4GHz C2D - 4GB RAM - 250GB Hard Drive
It depends on what you want to use it for. If you're looking to use Time Machine to back-up files on your Mac, then you'll need one of the partitions to be Mac OS Extended.

If you're just using it to move files around and you'll encounter Windows computers, try installing MacFuse and then NTFS-3G which will allow your Mac to write to NTFS drives. This means you can have the whole drive without any partitions and have more space available to do stuff with.

Stupid question - Does MacFuse and the other program get installed on my computer or the external?

Also, can I use it for Time Machine as well install MacFuse & NTFS-3G without partitioning the drive at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
You should install MacFuse and NTFS-3g on you system HDD (so most likely the one in you Mac.

You can only use Time Machine on a drive which is formatted using Mac OS Extended and I recommend using the Journaling option. You cannot use Time Machine on an NTFS drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmmmm... key-word there I think.

I don't think you'll want to be installing OS-X or Windows on that external at all! Would you not be wanting to install both on your internal drive for dual-boot purposes?

He's not talking about installing OS's on an external drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
His response suggests otherwise but now I've re-read his first post, it does...OP - You are installing two OS's right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
The OP as I'm interpreting it looks like NewMacUser5 has Windows installed on his Mac via bootcamp, and is intending on using the external for backups.
The Question being should he partition the external 50/50 for OS X and Windows backups.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.