• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

That was close...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac no more - Sony Vaio FZ4000
Well, thankfully there have been no reported fatalities with our latest bombings today and only 1 injury, which reportedly was one of the bombers. Unfortunately I live next door to Oval station and I was up near Baker Street when it all happened so I had to walk almost all of the way home. I was lucky to find a backway to get to my flat because I thought I was going to be stuck waiting outside of the cordoned area. Hopefully none of the Londoners on these boards were affected.

D

dziner

Wow, if there were no fatalities, London is very lucky. I can't say I've heard much of this yet since I'm at work but I'm sure to read up on the news once I get home. Happy to see you weren't harmed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Happy to see you wern't harmed at all like dziner said. Hopefully London will not be hit by terroist again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
london had a terroist attack? again? jezzzz

congrads!

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I must say that as an acedemic I do my best not to speculate until all the facts are presented, but based on what I've seen and know I don't actually believe that this was a terrorist attack, at least not by Al-Qaeda.

What has been reported is that the explosions were just the detonators and not the actual bombs. While it is feasible that there could have been a fault and the bomb didn't detonate it seems very unlikely that this would happen with all four bombs.

Another point of unusual behaviour is that all four of the bombs were not in the vicinity of the attackers. Unfortunately none of the aggressors were apprehended and fled the scenes.

The other aspect of this incident is that it is way too similar to the 7 July attacks, with three bombs on the Tube and one on a bus.

Even though Ian Blair (the Met Police Commissioner, not Tony) said that these bombs were done with "the intention to kill," I think this is more likely the case of a copy-cat team whose intent was not to kill but to disrupt life and transportation in London as well as lower the appeal of London to tourists, investors, etc.

I sincerely hope that I am right in this assessment, however, because it would be tragic if the aggressors re-attempted this failed attacks. I also hope that this does not increase any race-related criminal activity, because I hate to see innocent people persecuted for the actions of a very, very small minority, and no one wants a repeat of 2001.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
At least nobody was killed this time....

Some people are so sick...

B

badmojo

sarahsboy18 said:
At least nobody was killed this time....

Some people are so sick...

No innocents were harmed and that is a great thing. However today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8655541/

"Witnesses said he ran onto a train at Stockwell station, police chased him, he tripped, and police then shot him. "They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp."

Ya gotta love that. The Brittish aren't wasting any time bring the purpetrators to justice.

H

Harryc

badmojo said:
No innocents were harmed and that is a great thing. However today:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8655541/

"Witnesses said he ran onto a train at Stockwell station, police chased him, he tripped, and police then shot him. "They pushed him onto the floor and unloaded five shots into him. He's dead," witness Mark Whitby told the British Broadcasting Corp."

Ya gotta love that. The Brittish aren't wasting any time bring the purpetrators to justice.
That newsbrief reads like the plain clothes officers basically gunned down an unarmed man. Not blaming them for being jumpy, but he could have been a frightened illegal immigrant as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
That newsbrief reads like the plain clothes officers basically gunned down an unarmed man. Not blaming them for being jumpy, but he could have been a frightened illegal immigrant as well.

Somehow I think if that was an innocent man we would have heard alot more about it. According to witnesses he was wearing a large thick jacket on a warm day... and another witness said he was wearing a belt with wires on it.

I have to say... you run from the cops after something like what happened yesterday... You are taking you life into your own hands.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
If a person is innocent in a situation like that, he wouldn't run. God help us :(

OP
dstopsky
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:

Well, the first mistake is that your information is coming from an American news source so I wouldn't rely too heavily on what they have to say. If you want a much more reputable source that relies more on facts than speculation, then check out BBC, The Guardian, The Independent or Aljazeera. All have their newspapers online and, IN MY OPINION, are far more academic in their journalistic approach and research than MSNBC, Fox News, CNN or any other U.S. news agency. I honestly don't want to start a debate about which sources are better and I thought it would be good for those that aren't used to non-U.S. news agencies to know where to look.

Anyways, on to the facts of this incident:
1) For those unaware, police in the UK are not allowed to carry ANY lethal weapons, that means guns or even stun-guns. However, there are a couple of small task forces that are assigned them. The fact that 3 armed plain-clothed officers knew at what time and place to hop out of their car and chase a man into Stockwell Tube Station seems highly suspicious that he was an "innocent victim." I don't even seen any armed police in front of Oval station, which was one of the places where a detanator went off yesterday.

2) If you look at the UK police guidelines for engaging in weapon fire, it also gives us some good information. While it is different in the U.S. where police are trained to shoot to kill, even though many aren't aware of that, the police in the UK are trained to shoot only as a last resort and only aim to disable, not kill. In regards to suicide bombers, however, UK police are trained to shoot to kill.

3) I watched Mark Whitby's interview on television and he even stated that, while he saw the police chase the man into the tube carriage, he was standing further down on the platform. I don't believe that he is lying in his testimony of the situation, but I think his perspective is skewered and I'd take it with a grain of salt. If you are able to find it, other witness who were inside the carriage where the man was shot claimed that the man was wearing a "bomb belt" with wires coming out of it. Again, I wouldn't believe all that they say, but their view holds more weight to the fact that they were in front of the man that was shot and not several meteres away.

I'd wait to hear more facts, rather than rumours, before jumping to any conclusions.

H

Harryc

Am not jumping to any conclusions, simply reacting to how the story was reported by MSNBC. You have to admit that the way it was reported it is easy to develop the reaction that I posted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Oh come on - if they were chasing him, chances are he was given a fair warning before they unloaded 5 bullets into him.

It's not as though they saw a foreigner in a jacket and gunned him down on impulse...

This is in London don't forget, the city where people are asked to "Please keep moving along now, the bomb squad need to sweep this road" when people are hanging round giving interviews.
The constable even thanked them after they were gracious enough to move the cameras to stop blocking the pavements.

H

Harryc

Aptmunich said:
Oh come on - if they were chasing him, chances are he was given a fair warning before they unloaded 5 bullets into him.

It's not as though they saw a foreigner in a jacket and gunned him down on impulse...

This is in London don't forget, the city where people are asked to "Please keep moving along now, the bomb squad need to sweep this road" when people are hanging round giving interviews.
The constable even thanked them after they were gracious enough to move the cameras to stop blocking the pavements.
Come on? How should a reader react to the following?

"LONDON - Plainclothes police chased a man in a thick coat through a subway station, wrestled him to the floor of a train car and shot him to death in front of stunned commuters Friday. "

Seems rather basic to me. Did I miss some hidden words? Again, I am simply reacting to the article, who knows what really happenned, the officers could have been 100% justified.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Harryc said:
Ok, he was innocent, the BBC confirms it...calls it a tragedy.

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article9552.htm

That is sad... but as I said before.... you run from the cops after something like what happened on the subways the day before... You are taking you life into your own hands... I hate to see someone die... But it was nobody's fault but his own for challenging the police and then running under those circumstances.

Remember, those same policemen watched 52 of the civilians they are supposed to protect die two weeks before... and could have lost even more the day before. You can NOT taunt people who are in that mental state, dealing with that type of responsibility, and expect any grace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Ok, so it does seem that the nerves got the better of her majesty's finest here...
Horrific tragedy...

Obviously the fact that they were Plainclothes officers didn't help reassure him the mob behind him just wanted to chat.

Still - vaulting over the underground turnbarriers was probably never going to be a good idea, given the current climate...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.