internet problem / snow leopard

Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I upgraded to Snow Leopard (from Tiger), and after that, I couldn't connect to Internet again. Before all was working well...

- I have two computers (PC-WinXP and iMAC 10.6) plugged into modem with ethernet cable.
- There´s a router too (it's from my web server company).
- When I try to change the network preferencies (manual or automatic IP), nothing change in connection.
- DNS's server numbers are in grey (impossible to take off).
- The state of connection says that Ethernet is active, and there´s a good working IP number. (in both computers there´s own IP-numbers, like it was earlier before SL-upgrade).

Well... Mac´s assistant in network window said, that I shouldn't have any problem. So why is not working ?

Hopefully someone of you can help me in this very difficult problem very soon (been all day looking for helpful information without any answer).

PS: sorry about this bad english, it's not my mother-language...

thank you!

Reaction score
Need more information. I'm not sure from your first post the details of your network setup. Run two commands (use Terminal on the mac and DOS command window on the windows box).

On mac from terminal window run the ifconfig command and paste the output in your next post.

ifconfig

On the windows box from a DOS command window run the ipconfig command and paste the output in your next post.

ipconfig

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also if you would besides your Mac's Specs and what the other user asked, Open System Preferences, Network and do a screen shot. I especially want to see the IP Address and router address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And the DNS IP addresses.

First should be greyed out, the rourter IP address.

The next two should be in black and are the Primary and Secondary DNS IP addresses to enable mail and browsing. Sometimes the ISP overlook supplying this information. If you do not have the three addresses ask them for Primary and Secondary.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for answering so soon!!!!

Here's ifconfig from Mac:

lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1b:63:9f:ca:5b
inet6 fe80::21b:63ff:fe9f:ca5b%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 88.163.124.202 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 88.163.124.255
media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
fw0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 4078
lladdr 00:1c:b3:ff:fe:a2:66:4a
media: autoselect <full-duplex>
en1: flags=8823<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
ether 00:1c:b3:76:b6:22
media: <unknown subtype> (<unknown type>)

And here's from PC:

Windows IP determination:
Ethernet-adapter Wireless connection:
not active

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

DNS......................:
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 88.163.124.202
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 88.163.124.254

about the router adress and DNS, there's nothing at this moment in Mac... and now both computers are looking for the same IP address (there's a message on Mac when I opened network preferences).
DNS on PC is 212.27.40.240

And actually after the first post, I reinstalled Snow Leopard... without change.

Didn't really understand well the last post (harryb)...

Can't wait to get your help!!!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You say there is a Modem and a router or is the Modem and router the same box? Looking at your printout of ifconfg and ipconfig both computers are trying to use the same IP address! You sure there is a router with DHCP enabled?

Also the default gateway and broadcast IP should be the routers main IP address but one is .254 and one is .255.

Reaction score
You have a bad configuration at the moment based on the output from <if and ip>config. Your PC is getting a public IP address from your modem. Your Mac is locked out as you only have one public IP address. If you have a router it is not being engaged with your configuration. What you want is one public IP address (the 88.*.*.* address assigned to your router) and two private IP addresses for your Mac and PC. Examples of private IPs are 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* where * can be 0-255. That's the kind of setup I expect based on your first post. That's not what you have right now so you need to change your network setup. It's not a setup issue with your Mac as far as I can tell.

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, modem and router are the same box.
Router is DHCP enabled, I am sure.
You said about the numbers .254 and .255... but what do you suggest about?
Should I change all 254 to 255?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You have a bad configuration at the moment based on the output from <if and ip>config. Your PC is getting a public IP address from your modem. Your Mac is locked out as you only have one public IP address. If you have a router it is not being engaged with your configuration. What you want is one public IP address (the 88.*.*.* address assigned to your router) and two private IP addresses for your Mac and PC. Examples of private IPs are 192.168.*.* or 10.*.*.* where * can be 0-255. That's the kind of setup I expect based on your first post. That's not what you have right now so you need to change your network setup. It's not a setup issue with your Mac as far as I can tell.

Agreed completely. That is why I asked if he even has a router.

OP
M
Reaction score
now some change : since I turned back to privat IP 192.168.xxx , so, Mac and PC have different IP (a good thing..)
BUT I tried to change router number in its server, but it automaticly turns back to same old .254... I don't understand

I can only have internet on PC, not on Mac, even with different IP for each...uh

Do you have any idea about this bug ?

Reaction score
You are not looking at a bug, just a misconfiguration. It should not be necessary to perform any configuration on the PC or the MAC. If you set them both to use dynamic addresses they will each get an address assigned by the router. If DHCP is enabled on your router then the router will assign addresses based on what you tell it. Most home network users stick with assigning addresses between 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.254. The 255 address is a special address known as the broadcast address. You don't assign that address to nodes on a network. It has a special purpose.

To be clear, the router address should be 88.163.124.202 and the router default gateway should be 88.163.124.254 and the two nodes on your private network (PC and MAC) should have addresses in the 192.168.0.* range. That's what you want.

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok...

So after few days, internet finally works in both mac and pc... Great!!

I discovered that the problem was in mac, not about IP-numbers.

I called to Apple service number, and after several checking in mac, they said that I have to reinstall snow leopard... but it didn't change anything. So, I called again, and they said that I have to restore my mac with snow leopard DVD. Since that it works perfectly!!!!!

Thank you for all the help here... and if this problem happens to someone here in this forum, I hope my story can give some advice.

Finally, I think it's better to clean mac totally before installing snow leopard from Tiger.... that I didn't do first time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.