Daft old bird new to Mac needs help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac. iPhone 3gs. iTouch
Hiya,

I'm totally new to iMac....3 days in and loving it. Have a brand spanking new 21.5 iMac from a 10year old Dell that did it's job but died. Have got iTouch & iPhone 3gs that I just adore and this was the next step to becoming a total Apple household.

Have watched the Apple tutorials & have been reading up on the forum on everything I can on how to get the best from my new beautiful machine.

Have learnt a few basics. I'm getting there slowly.

My magic mouse isn't consistently responsive to left/right swiping( really annoying) and doesn't behave at all to 360º actions on images as in the tutorial videos...... it only moves up & down. I have small delicate fingers - not great bananas so am not at all sure if it's defective.

Any help will be greatly received. Ta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Hey there, welcome from another switcher. I don't have a Magic Mouse but was disappointed when I tried it out in the store. It doesn't even has as much functionality as the Mighty Mouse. You might have to set up the mouse preferences in System Preferences. If the System Preferences icon isn't in your dock, you can find it by clicking on the Apple menu at the top left of your screen. In fact, I suggest spending some time there and fine tuning all your preferences until you have your Mac working exactly the way you want.

If you still aren't that wowed by the Magic Mouse, try finding a Mighty Mouse on Amazon or someplace. You don't have to use an Apple Mouse either. You can use just about any mouse you find more useful and comfortable. You might even want to try the new Magic Trackpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
I highly recommend this to tweak your magic mouse

C

chas_m

Just so our new friend doesn't get the impression that the Magic Mouse doesn't work as advertised, the 360° swirl DOES in fact work out of the box ... but you'd have to be on either a) a VERY wide and tall web page or b) a zoomed-in photo in say iPhoto in order to really see the effect.

As for the two-finger swipe, I've always found that (a horizontal swipe) a bit of an awkward gesture, but if I part the fingers to a v-shape it works fine for me.

OP
lms1708
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the welcome & all the tips. I'll look into them. One of the first things I did when it came out of the box was to change the tracking speed of the mouse to the fastest setting :)

Bet I'm back with more questions later...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Sadly, the various versions of the Apple mouse come nowhere near the standards of those from firms like Logitech. I use the old Logitech wireless mouse I had with my PC and it works fine - the answer is to switch :) Of course you could try out the Bamboo Touch pad from Wacom, which is said to be better than Apple's new touch pad (now why is that not surprising?) :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
I tried the Magic Mouse and didn't like it one little bit, took at back and got a refund. Another vote here for the Logitech wireless mouse, streets ahead of the Apple product. So much nicer in the hand too.

OP
lms1708
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the replies. I'm actually getting to grips with the Magic Mouse now and chas-m's trick of giving it the 'V' swipe is working well. :Cool:

Another problem though, and this is probably not the right place to put this.

We didn't back up or transfer onto external hard drive my iTunes library before the old DELL died. Now my phone is not being recognised on the new iMac. I can still get into my account on iTunes but my library is empty. I can't sync my phone to update and am fearful I'm gonna lose all my music/movies/apps etc.

All suggestions and help will be very gratefully received. Ta

C

chas_m

I recommend the $20 Pod to Mac software for reverse syncing from the Pod to your iTunes library. Your apps you may still lose, but Apple always lets you re-download those for free so no worries there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.