More (unrelated) questions - safari issue/video card/iLife

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
A few more questions from a recent switcher. I decided to put them together rather than start 3 different threads:

(1) I have noticed that every once in a while (not very frequently, but enough for me to notice) when I put a URL in Safari it starts to access the page (based on the status bar) and then gets stuck and doesn't go to the page (sometimes the little circle thing in the corner of the box just spins). Usually if I go back or stop the page and re-enter the URL it will then go to the page. Once it got stuck again, but eventually I was able to get it to go to the page.

Any ideas? Also, is it normal for a page in safari to sort of scroll open rather than just pop open (in other words the graphics don't appear all at once but the screen may sort of "roll" open from top to bottom)?

(2) This falls into the woulda/coulda category. I purchased a refurb i7 (Late 2009) iMac. I have started to wonder a little whether I may eventually miss the benefits of the newer 1 gb video card in the Mid 2010 machine. I don't do gaming or heavy video editing/3D rendering, only some photo editing (pretty light so far) and perhaps I'll use iMovie at some point. Of, course, I will watch video (and do a number of other things that are not video related, like music recording and notation). I guess (while I am still in the return period) I would just like some confirmation that I am not likely to miss anything.

(3) I had iWorks installed on my computer when I had data transferred from my PC. Of course, the iMac also came with iLife 09. I expect that a new iLife and perhaps a new iWorks will be announced at the Apple event on October 20. Am I just out of luck and have to pay for the new software? Having a computer that's not even 2 weeks old, what is the likelihood I might be able to get some reduced upgrade price?

Thanks for your input and patience with a new "switcher."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
Not sure about the Safari thing, but it sounds like it may be a connection problem rather than something wrong with Safari. Maybe the URL just needs to reconnect just like with other browsers. Just refresh and it should be ok.

If you're not doing a whole lot of intense rendering or gaming, I don't think you'll miss the 1GB video card.

There isn't really any way of knowing when the new iLife and iWork (that's singular) will be announced. I know that when a newer model of Macbook or iMac comes out they'll let you upgrade for free if you bought the previous model within the last few weeks. Even if that applies to iLife and iWork, it will be awhile before they're available for purchase, so you might have to make do with what you have for now.

C

chas_m

(1) I have noticed that every once in a while (not very frequently, but enough for me to notice) when I put a URL in Safari it starts to access the page (based on the status bar) and then gets stuck and doesn't go to the page (sometimes the little circle thing in the corner of the box just spins). Usually if I go back or stop the page and re-enter the URL it will then go to the page. Once it got stuck again, but eventually I was able to get it to go to the page.

Any ideas?

Most of the time, this is an ad being called from a remote server that is slow in loading, bringing the whole page to a grinding halt. I find that adblockers like the AdBlock extension for Safari 5 really help with that.

Also, is it normal for a page in safari to sort of scroll open rather than just pop open

Some browsers wait until all the principle graphics are loaded and then just display the entire page; some, like Safari, throw up elements as they are loaded, which generally runs from top to bottom. So yes, for Safari it's normal.

(2) This falls into the woulda/coulda category. I purchased a refurb i7 (Late 2009) iMac. I have started to wonder a little whether I may eventually miss the benefits of the newer 1 gb video card in the Mid 2010 machine.

No. Very very very very few people need the benefits of a 256MB card, much less a 1GB video card. 99% of the time, you are working primarily with 2D graphics and the video card is (or was until Apple invented Quartz) sitting there useless.

Should you go into 3D rendering or start playing top o the line games, your video card will actually start doing what it was designed to do. Till then, as I said, even the lowest discreet video card on the market is MASSIVE overkill for most non-gamer Mac people.

(3) I had iWorks installed on my computer

It's called iWork, not iWorks. Carry on.

when I had data transferred from my PC. Of course, the iMac also came with iLife 09. I expect that a new iLife and perhaps a new iWorks will be announced at the Apple event on October 20. Am I just out of luck and have to pay for the new software?

You and everyone else in the world. The approach Apple has taken with iLife and iWork is this: they sell the software for WAY WAY WAY less than it's actually worth, and in exchange for this ludicrously low price they don't offer upgrade pricing. Every two years (or however often) when the suite is upgraded, you re-buy it (if you choose) or skip it.

I mean seriously, LOOK at iWork. $79?! Keynote alone is worth double that. Given that it's not required to update, and the average cost-per-year of staying up-to-date is around $30, I think iWork and iLife represent tremendous value for my dollar spent. Especially compared to us Quark and Adobe users! :)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac i7 2.8 GHz
[edit: Hmmm. I have no idea why the angry face is appearing at the top of this post, but I can't seem to get rid of it. It was not intended. :)

No. Very very very very few people need the benefits of a 256MB card, much less a 1GB video card. 99% of the time, you are working primarily with 2D graphics and the video card is (or was until Apple invented Quartz) sitting there useless.

Should you go into 3D rendering or start playing top o the line games, your video card will actually start doing what it was designed to do. Till then, as I said, even the lowest discreet video card on the market is MASSIVE overkill for most non-gamer Mac people.

Thanks. You've set my mind at ease and confirmed my thought that given my use the i7 processor is much more likely to be of value in the future (and maybe not even that), My money will be better spent on adding some RAM later.

It's called iWork, not iWorks. Carry on.

I knew that -- typo ;-). But I appreciate your careful eye just the same :).

You and everyone else in the world. The approach Apple has taken with iLife and iWork is this: they sell the software for WAY WAY WAY less than it's actually worth, and in exchange for this ludicrously low price they don't offer upgrade pricing. Every two years (or however often) when the suite is upgraded, you re-buy it (if you choose) or skip it.

I mean seriously, LOOK at iWork. $79?! Keynote alone is worth double that. Given that it's not required to update, and the average cost-per-year of staying up-to-date is around $30, I think iWork and iLife represent tremendous value for my dollar spent. Especially compared to us Quark and Adobe users! :)

OK. Point taken ... and I agree, the software is a good value. Still, I am talking about adding about an additional $160 (assuming iLife and iWork are $79 each) in expense if I were to decide to upgrade both, just because I purchased the computer and iWork two weeks too soon (and I could easily have waited). Not the end of the world, but it is a little annoying. Life goes on ...

Thanks both to you and Oneironaut for your responses.

C

chas_m

You're most welcome. I'll wait to see what's actually IN the new iWork and/or iLife before deciding to upgrade ... the current one really works very well for me so I'm in no rush.

I mean, if the main improvement in iWork 11 is an improved Numbers, then I don't care that much. Different strokes for different folks, of course. :)

Hopefully the new one will be fairly compelling. Just got a look at Office 11 the other night (MS rep came to our MUG meeting) and it's seriously pretty nice (and more than a little "inspired" by iWork).

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hopefully the new one will be fairly compelling. Just got a look at Office 11 the other night (MS rep came to our MUG meeting) and it's seriously pretty nice (and more than a little "inspired" by iWork).

I love it chas... "inspired". You're not a little biased are you? :) Remember, you don't live very far from those "guys" in Redmond. ;)

C

chas_m

I *love* the guy MS sends up here to demo for us, and I have previously had friends at the MacBU. So I'm happy there's a MacBU and I am glad MS is giving them greater resources these days so they can do more cool stuff.

That isn't going to shift me off iWork, however, because Office is focused on (and "excels" at, sorry for the pun) office work, which isn't what I do, so iWork still works better for me. But Office has been for quite some time now a very decent quality Mac program and for those who need it, I have no problem recommending it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
These questions have already been answered but I want to add in my 2¢ worth. More answers can never be a bad thing right?

1. I would really recommend in getting a safari addon called "click to flash". I had the same issue and tis add on fixed the issue. it's worth a shot.

2. As said above. Unless you play high end gaming you won't be missing a thing. Heck I'm sure you could get a swag of awesome games that run on the graphics card you have. Seriously you're not missing much at all.

3. Well look at it this way.
Office 2008 - Home and Student - $150
Office 2008 - Business - $400 ($250 for the upgrade)
USA prices

So even if you had to buy iwork over again and didn't originally get it with your Mac. That'd be $79x2 or $158. Even 2x iwork is cheaper than MS office. You are getting a really good deal with iwork. Sure MS is great for the professionals out there. But for 99% of people iwork does just fine and is great value for money.

And as said above this low price does 2 things. Simplifies the whole price thing. Apple are not one for having many different versions or pricings for the same product. With Apple it's one version of a product for one set price. In saying that Office is still a great product. I'd recommend it to most professionals. But it's just not as good in the value for money department as iwork is.

And lastly you don't have to upgrade your iwork right now. If a new version is released and you think the new features are a little underwhelming, then don't upgrade. No one is forcing you. And your current iwork will do you just fine. Then you can choose up upgrade when you want to, if ever .

But ilife on the other hand. Same as the above a great software package at a really good price. $79. But in my opinion there's no other software package like it in the world. Aimed at the casual/home users. And it coming packaged in with your mew Mac is just a big bonus.

Should you pay to upgrade it? Wait for the new version to be released and if you want to, or feel the new features are good, go ahead. But I'd play around with the current version of ilife you have now first. If you can see yourself using ilife a lot then think about getting it. If not then don't bother. I didn't get ilife 09. Simply cause I don't really use the apps on it much and the previous version of ilife suited me well. But the next ilife I probably will get. So yeah skipping a version of ilife is not a crime if you have your reasons.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.