Need opinions as to which MBP to get

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I break any rules here. I'm a senior in high school right now, and I am looking to get a MBP for college. For school, we are issued a Macbook and we will have to return it at the end of the year. The specs:
Version 10.6.4
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Because we have to return it at the end of the year, I was looking for to buy a MBP. I was looking at the $1799 MBP but I wanted to know if the speeds with be noticeably faster than an IC2D/if this would be the best choice.

Basically what I would want to use the laptop for would be schoolwork first (writing papers, powerpoints etc),
then some gaming (Starcraft 2 etc). I also like to record music in Garageband, and edit videos and upload them to YouTube, and when I upload them, it is in bulk; many 10 minute videos in HD.

Basically, should I get that MBP now based on what I am wanting to use it for, or should I wait and see what they have in store with the faster models/if I even need them. Does anyone believe the price will drop on any of the MBPs in the near future?

If I could get some opinions and ideas, that would be greatly appreciated! Again, sorry if I have broken any rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I'm a senior in high school right now, and I am looking to get a MBP for college. For school, we are issued a Macbook and we will have to return it at the end of the year.
Welcome to the forums. Unless the MacBook is way too slow for you currently then there really is no need to get a new MBP now since your school is providing that MacBook for you to use. You most likely won't be able to play StarCraft 2 all that well but it should handle the other tasks you mentioned. It might do the tasks slower than you would like but it should be able to do it at least.

By the time you finish school there is a good chance that Apple will release a new MBP. Computers are one of those things you will upgrade every few years if you like using the latest softwares so if you buy one now it won't last you as long.

I would recommend just using your school's MacBook and if you really think it's too slow for your needs then you can choose to upgrade. For some people the performance of the MacBook is perfectly okay while it's too slow for other people. That's a question only you can really answer. For example my Dad's computer is really slow but it's fine for his needs.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Nope price is not dropping any time soon. Even with this economy Apple products fly off the selves. Why would they cut prices?

Uploading HD video has more to do with your internet connection more than anything else.

I would look for benchmarks if you really want to see the differences. Gaming depends more on the graphics card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.