How often should I change my password? Console question too.

Reaction score
I've heard and you may have very well heard others say that you should change your password every so often. I'm not saying they're wrong, I just don't know how to feel about this. It's my understanding that your admin password is the key to the castle. I obviously don't want anyone getting that key to my castle, but whether I change my password every 6 months or every 6 years, does that really make a difference? I'm not quite sure how someone else would be able to use that password to do anything if sharing is off, unless they had physical access to your computer of course.

So how often should I change my password? And does it matter if I use the same password now that I did when I created my first password for my Mac?

As for the console question, I noticed that messages I wanted to look at in the console from several days ago are no longer there. Do console messages delete themselves after a certain time?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
More than changing your password, it is far better to create and remember one very strong password. With sharing and other things off, you're right it's hard for people to compromise your machine..and changing your password frequently might mean that you might just forget what the Admin password is and lock yourself out..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.