• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Entering PC forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I really hate it when I go to a PC forum, I feel like im out of place.

Had to contact them for a PC programmer. (dont ask, Evur has to be ported sometime)

M

Mr.Guvernment

i am sure many PC user coming to this forum feel out of place - i know i do!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Well Graphite was looking for a programmer.. and you are.. looking into getting a Mac? :)

M

Mr.Guvernment

:)

i am just here to enlighten my knowledge of MAC's and to get out of the stereo typical label of a PC lover :) that many would so like to think.

i like a good knowledgable debate between the 2 platforms and if properly done - both sides come out learning something new, hopefully as opposed to being zealots to their prefered system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Fair enough. Can I ask - what were your peticular counter measures against this past months wormapalooza? by the way, I thoroughly hate that kind of miserable slob -matter of fact I posted the first warnings of it in a Linux forum as well as the first fixes And though I can say I don't like a personal computer being so exposed, it really shouldn't matter in my view. That sort of thing should not happen :rolleyes:

M

Mr.Guvernment

Did not pay much attentin to it - i got my norton corprate installed and let it do it's thing - no viruses came into my systems or affected one of them - i am in charge of 17 PC's in a home office set up :) and have no Uni or college degree's. - one of the PC's receives our email and gets between 300-500 emails daily.
All viruses from people (as always - usually from hotmail and aol) were caught and automaitcally handled before i even got to the emails.

in the 3 years i have worked for this company - i have never had a virus - and 2 of my machines dont even have Anti- V on them.

i must be doing something right that top end corprate IT people can not seem to figure out :) - even after all those years of schooling (i dropped out in grade 11)

:D

D

dziner

Here's one thing that really urks me about having to use a PC at work. And this is all about the GUI.

At home with OS X, when I go to the finder I have my drive, disks, home account directories, and a few folders that I use regularly on the left side for easy access. This is all quite easy to use.

BUT...

Here at work I have a PC running XP. I've noticed that when I go to open a file - the window sometimes has the following:

My Recent Documents
Desktop
My Documents
My Computer
My Network Places

But not ALWAYS!

Sometimes I have the following:

History
My Documents
Desktop
Favorites
My Network Places

No consistency. I hate it and it's very frustrating to not have the same options all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah, I know what you mean. The cross - app flexiblility of doz is inconsistent, and a part of the idiotic ease of malicious access. And with the new service packs OH how I love that wording for software all secret and payed for! Are likely to cause that to get a bit worse. Much of the longhorn staff has been moved to service pack work and I feel so sorry for them -- their task is monumental! The new world of Mac and BSD based OS X rules! Left doz around Christmas and never looked back! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Norwood is a Mid-2010 15 inch MacBook Pro with 10.11.1.
some suggestions

dziner: Are you accessing the files from the Start menu or from the My Computer folder [on the desktop]?

Alternatively, you could just open the program you wish to run, hit "open" (Control-o or File-open), and the document will open.

Just a thought. :)

I can understand how you feel about PeeCees. I don't like them either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.