Boot problem / new hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ipod, ipad, Macbook Pro, MacBook Air
I have a 17inch Macbook pro 2009 model which developed a hard drive problem.

Ihave fitted a new hard drive which I am 99% sure isn't formatted for a mac.

I am trying to boot from the original discs so that I can format the drive and install OSX.

I get the startup sound, then a white screen, drive spins etc

The it goes dark and starts over again, this just keeps happening....

Can I start the machine in another way, bios etc?

I am a bit more used to Windows machines but I do have an air and ipad.

Hope someone can help.

Gordon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Hold down 'C' when the computer boots and it should start up from the DVD

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
unfortunately that doesn't make any difference on this occasion!

Thanks for trying though.

Gordon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What about holding down the Option Key when you power the machine on until you get a graphical option of the DVD drive, you should be able to select it with a mouse.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great, we have moved on a stage, I now got an arrow and above it a graphic of the DVD which says Mac OS X install disc 1

I tried clicking the arrow, machine reboots again and next time I tried clicking the graphic, same result!!

I am puzzled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok thats weird :p Have you run the Apple Hardware Test? it should be on the Install DVD 2, hold down 'D' when starting up from that disc to run the test software

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get a flashing folder graphic with a question mark in the middle of it.

Does that mean anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats the machine trying to find an OS that isnt there, try the 2nd Disc again but holding down the option key and see if you have an Option for the Hardware test there.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just get a cursor which moves around etc but nothing else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
By default your Mac will try to boot off of the hard drive. This is why you are seeing what you are seeing. So as suggested holding down C right after pushing the power button should force the machine to boot from the Optical drive. You can also try CMD-OPT-SHIFT-DELETE. Option by itself should give you a selection as you saw. What concerns me is that you are not getting to the normal install screen on the CD.

Do you have another Mac, or do you have a retail copy of Snow Leopard? Are you sure you have the proper grey disks for the computer you have?

Another Mac - boot in firewire target disk mode with your MBP connected (via firewire of course) then format the the drive as HFS+ Journaled then try the install disks
Retail Copy - has every Mac type available for install just in case your grey disks aren't the right ones for your computer.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a MacBook Air, would that work?

Although I will need to get a Firewire cable!

I think the discs I have are the correct one's although the machine was actually used by of of my staff and it was a replacement for a previous one which required a new hard drive and then the logic board packed in, after complaining we got a this machine as it's replacement.

The discs are dated 2008 which is later than the original machine but earlier than this machine which seems about right!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air won't work - it doesn't have firewire.

The grey disks usually say what machine it is for - if not Snow Leopard is $30 at the Apple Store.

I also have a late model 2009 MBP but I cannot find my grey disks - I ended up buying the box set family pack so I really don't need it anymore anyway. Otherwise I would tell you what my disks said on it. Maybe someone else with the disks could chime in.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The discs I have say:

Mac OS Version. 10.5.2
AHT version. 3A143
Disc verison 1.1
2Z691-6209-A

Do you think this problem is likely a problem with the OS discs, could it be something much more serious? I have seen posts about Logic Boards but don't know what kind of problems they show up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just checked the discs and they say MacBook ( no mention of PRO), I wonder where they came from!

As you say a trip to the apple store looks like being on the cards this week, I wonder if the Leopard to Snow Leopard upgrade will do the job , I see it is only £25 (UK) but the full version is £132.

Thanks to both of you for helping.

Gordon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh yeah - I forgot that $30 is for upgrade - so unless you find the proper disks you may have to shell out for the full version. Also note that I don't believe iLife is on that disk so you don't get all the iLife programs without getting the box set. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. It may be better just to call Apple for the restore disks for you exact model - and see what they can do for you.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that.

I called my local Apple store and they told me that the upgrade discs will be fine even though I don't have the originals, I assume it must check the serial number and then it can tell if it is eligible for the upgrade.

Probably be the weekend before I can go get the discs but I'll post the outcome so that it may help others in the future.

Thanks

Gordon

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.