Temperature Converter Widget

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Good morning! A balmy 70 degrees fahrenheit here in South Florida. And that's the question, and I hope I don't get chastised for posting in the wrong forum... been known to happen.

Not a switcher. I have had my wonderful wonderful iMac for two years, but as said was at a loss as to which forum to post this question.

I have been looking for a temperature fahrenheit to celsius converter widget for my dashboard and unless I overlooked it I could not find one in the "widget" area for Apple. Does anyone know the name of one of these that I can download please? Since the good old US of A is probably the only, or at least one of the very very last countries on the planet to adopt the metric system I need to constantly be converting temperatures around the globe.

Thank you and happy Autumn! Love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I have a Widget on my system simply called Unit Converter that I'm pretty sure came installed as part of the OS -which means it's probably on your system too!

Failing that, have a check of the  Widget Download page (that link will take you directly to the relevant page) -there's more choices there than you could poke a stick at!

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thank you. Actually I scoured the widget download page first before posting here. Forums are usually my last resort if my own efforts have failed. Even did an internet search just in case, but there seemed to be every type of converter other than the one that I am looking for.

I can always use a converter from the web which I can access fairly quickly via a bookmark, but I just thought that a widget would be so much more convenient, especially when I am on Skype and friends and family from England, Norway, Canada and even the Caribbean all start telling me what the temperature is where they are and I have no clue what that translates to here.

Thank you for responding though. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 2.66GHz i5, 1TB HDD, 12GB RAM, OS X 10.7.3, iPod Classic 160GB,iPad 1 64GB Wi-fi, iPhone 4S
I have a Widget on my system simply called Unit Converter that I'm pretty sure came installed as part of the OS -which means it's probably on your system too!

Failing that, have a check of the  Widget Download page (that link will take you directly to the relevant page) -there's more choices there than you could poke a stick at!

The Unit Converter widget does indeed come installed as part of Snow Leopard (not sure about earlier versions) and it does do temperature conversions.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Bingo! And thank you. The description while all inclusive does not mention temperature but I figured I could always trash it if it did not work. Well it does - yippee! and what's even better is that I work from home as a digital artist for an event design company. I am probably the world's largest math moron (could not count to 20 without fingers and toes) and need to convert measurements constantly. This will be far faster than ye olde calculator.
Thank you

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...and it does do temperature conversions.

Thanks CE -I intended to point that out, then didn't! The other thing I forgot to mention too:

kathmat said:
...the good old US of A is probably the only, or at least one of the very very last countries on the planet to adopt the metric system...

That's more a societal thing than a lack of governmental commitment! I was in the USofA when the country "officially" went metric in, believe it or not, 1992!!! I remember thinking at the time that the whole thing was managed with very little fanfare, public perception or participation!

Still is apparently... go figure! ;D

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Confused??? And yet temperatures are still reported in fahrenheit and measurements on containers in the supermarket are still in the American system (not Imperial)?

I am not complaining, there is so much new "stuff" to learn every day just in the area of technology and I find myself having to sprint to try and keep up, but for the younger generation and with the shrinking of the global community one would think that it would be advantageous. Even if it meant being "bi-system" for a while to promote ease of learning.

I know that it would cost the manufacturing sector a pound and a crown as they used to say to make the switch, and suspect that this as you said (societal) is probably why it has not been put into greater effect. Hmmmm..

I have enjoyed this conversation. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kathmat said:
Even if it meant being "bi-system" for a while...

18 years not enough, ya reckon??? ;D

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
I did mention that I was a math moron :) I did not actually count but 18 years - dang!
Big business... sometimes you wonder who really is running things?!!?

Kinda convinced that they were/are just not prepared to revamp their present merchandising mo.
Oh well!
TTFN

C

chas_m

In addition the the Unit Converter, the default Weather widget can do Celsius. Not only that, but because you can multiple copies of widgets open, just open a second one and set it to the same city but Celsius.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Thanks Chas,
Actually I set the second weather widget to Fahrenheit for Toronto - actually Oakville... as that is where most of my weather comparisons occur. So now when they call and say "No snow in Oakville, it's 6ºC today," in a flash I will know exactly what's up!

You gotta love forums. At least I do, as I find that everyone is always so helpful.
Thank you all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.