• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac Museum sold on Ebay for $10,000

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I bet it was Steve who won the auction!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Steve Woz I bet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I bet it was Steve who won the auction!

Not Steve Jobs. When he returned to Apple, he found a room filled with "vintage" Macs and ordered the room cleared out and put to real use. He doesn't live in the past.

Reaction score
Not Steve Jobs. When he returned to Apple, he found a room filled with "vintage" Macs and ordered the room cleared out and put to real use. He doesn't live in the past.

Bit of an Idiot Then, I Agree with almost every decision he made but They are the best macs :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bit of an Idiot Then, I Agree with almost every decision he made but They are the best macs :D

Hardly an idiot. Practical to a fault, at worst. What would seriously be the point of having a room full of relics of the past? No really… why should they have been kept around?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
History. Maybe not taking up office space, but definitely in glass cases or in an on-site museum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
History. Maybe not taking up office space, but definitely in glass cases or in an on-site museum.

There already are Apple fans who host their own museums. This thread alone is about one in particular that sold, fer cryin' out loud. The more important pieces are in the Smithsonian. I'm sure Apple does have a few classic pieces here and there, but maintaining an entire museum would be redundant and pointless. There's no need to preserve everything they've ever done. It just takes up resources and obscures their focus. There's no place in this business for nostalgia. At least that's apparently how Steve Jobs sees it, and there's nothing that makes him an idiot for seeing it that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Macbook Pro 2.26, 160gb HD, 2gb RAM, OSX 10.6; Emac 1.42ghz 80gb HD 2gb RAM OSX 10.5
Not agreeing that he's an idiot, just citing a reason they might have wanted to keep them is all.

None of my business what they do. I don't work for them, and will likely never set foot in Cupertino, so...

Many businesses do like to take pride in their history and preserve aspects of it. Now, maybe holding on to every computer they've ever made might be a little overboard.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
There's no need to preserve everything they've ever done. It just takes up resources and obscures their focus. There's no place in this business for nostalgia. At least that's apparently how Steve Jobs sees it, and there's nothing that makes him an idiot for seeing it that way.

There's a saying and it goes kinda like this:
"Technology is based on a whirlwind of creative destruction".
And I can really see the wisdom in those words. There is no point wallowing in the past when it can obscure your vision of the future. Firstly as Apple do when you make version 2 of a product you need to not sell version 1 anymore. No point. And secondly old products are old ideas which are really out of date. And do no one any good.

Sure have an Apple museum somewhere with every Apple product ever made in it. But for Apple HQ, just have the latest and greatest. When you visit the campus, you want a feeling of "this is where the latest and best tech is made". You don't want to be feeling like you're walking through a history museum.

So in that vain I agree with jobs. Get rid of all the old trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.