Turn off Mac when connecting cables?

Reaction score
I was reading the manual for my new MBP, and I don't see any warnings like I did in the past stating that the computer should be turned off when connecting or disconnecting cables. Is this no longer a concern? In the past, I thought that the circuitry could be damaged if cables were connected while the power is on. Specifically, I was connecting my mini display port to an external monitor. It would be nice to just plug it in without having to shut down first.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I disconnect/connect USB cables all the time...it's one of the positive features of USB. Years ago (like back in the 80's & most of the 90's)...if you did any connecting/disconnecting of cables...first it might have "locked up" the computer (requiring a reboot)...and 2nd...you needed to reboot for the changes to take effect.

If the manual contains no warnings...I would say you're fine (from the official Apple point of view):)

- Nick

C

chas_m

"hot plugging" came in with high-end SCSI stuff in the early 90s, and has been standard operating procedure for Firewire and USB since day one. Certain kinds of *equipment* (notably hard drives and thumb drives if not properly unmounted!) don't like hot plugging, but the wires/connectors/circuit boards don't care.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.