Transfer Help?

Reaction score
I've done some upgrading on my MacBook and I need some help getting items from my external hard drive back onto my computer.
My MacBook is 4 years old and it was time to install a new hard drive and add memory. Before I changed the hard drive, I put everything I wanted to save on my external.
Now that I've finished with the hardware install and added the Snow Leopard software, I can't seem to get the data on my external to transfer back onto the computer, particularly iTunes.
I've tried to open iTunes and then drag and drop the iTunes folder from the external hard drive into the iTunes on the computer. It shows that it's transfering and then after about 20 minutes, I get a message saying that the "hard drive cannot read or copy", or something like that.
Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
what filesystem is the external drive?

OP
C
Reaction score
Oh geez, I don't think I know that. It's a Western Digital. Would it tell me somewhere on the external hard drive?
It worked fine before I did the upgrade so it must be Apple compatible?

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, the message I'm getting says "Attempting to copy to the disk 'Macintosh HD' failed. This disk could not be read from or written to."

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Sounds like a permissions problem. Boot your MacBook from the Snow Leopard DVD, enter Disk Utility from the top menu Utilities and repair permissions. Let us know if that works.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.