My first Mac...

Reaction score
MacBook Pro 15. Not necessarily the first Mac I ever used which was the Apple II and subsequent the Mac Portable, Macintosh, iMac, etc but the first Mac I endeavored to own is my MacBook Pro 15.

Perhaps not an at all interesting or noteworthy thread to begin amidst a crowd such as this but perhaps not as common. I decided to sell my custom built PC and purchase a used Mac. Something about the machine, the look, the feel, the OS.

I dislike Windows although I find with such proliferation it is impossible to avoid having it installed somewhere. I know I made the right decision and I am quite overly satisfied.

I would consider myself a convert and intend to purchase a new MacBook Pro.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome aboard and enjoy your "new-to-you" Mac..

Regards

Reaction score
On the same boat here. I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit in order to be able to use more than 3.3 GB of RAM and looking forward to purchase the Adobe CS5 suite, whose apps are full 64-bit now. Windows 7 succeeded in making me switch to Mac. I've used all Windows OSes since 3.1 with the exception of Windows Mistake Edition, and I have to say that Windows 7 is the worst. I loved Vista, and hoped that Windows 7 would be better, what a disappointment. So I bit the bullet and, being unable to invest in a Mac Pro at the time, I bought myself a MBP 13": money very well spent. Maybe I'll live long enough to be the proud owner of a Mac Pro.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unusual response. Most folks including myself put Vista in the same category with Win ME and will say that Windows 7 is much better. Of course no Windows OS can compete with OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
We have Windows 7 (starter) running on both netbooks here.. and to be fair even that is an improvement over both XP and Vista!!.. but Mac OSX is just in another league!.. it's fantastic!!

I still have XP on my work laptop and desktop.. but it just feels so 'clunky' and slow compared to OSX!..

Reaction score
Windows XP was a good OS; problem is, it no longer is. It has gotten so bloated with all the SPs and updates that it's surprising it still runs efficiently, sort of. (What is bewildering is that people keep asking for it.)

I had to upgrade to Vista in order to network with my recently acquired laptop which had Vista Basic on it. XP would just not see the laptop. The lappy would see my XP workstation just fine, but the latter would just refuse to network with the former. So, I shelled out the cash for an OEM copy of Vista Home Premium 32-bit. The network problems went away and I used Vista for about a year. The workstation stays on 24/7 and I seldom have to reboot. Vista was stable as a rock and smooth as a baby's butt. PS CS4, Painter 11, Office, even games that were not supposed to run well in Vista performed like champs. Never a problem. And I didn't even do the automatic updates. It was months before I would install an update or service pack. Vista just worked fine.

Then, wanting to use two extra sticks of RAM that I had laying around, and seeing how CS5 is now all 64-bit apps, I decided to upgrade to a 64-bit OS. I could still have gotten a 64-bit version of Vista, but with Windows 7 already out and getting good reviews and all the hype, I purchased an OEM copy of Windows 7 Business 64-bit. Biiig mistake, if I have to paraphrase that Arnold Schwarzenegger character.

First thing: there goes my network. Now the Vista laptop would not access the W7 workstation. Little wonder, since M$ changes the networking in every new version of its OSes; tactic that they use to force people to upgrade. Sure, they say Homegroups makes networking way easier to set up and use, and it's the greatest thing since the invention of ethernet, but Homegroups works only with machines running Windows 7. A-ha!

Worse problem than networking woes was the fact that W7 performed like a snail on crutches. Applications that in Vista took seconds to open, in W7 took over half a minute. All Adobe apps opened way slower. Office apps took almost a minute to open (although the problem there was AVG, which was scanning files prior to opening them, so uninstalling AVG and putting on MSE took care of that), and a Recycle Bin that takes about 30 seconds to open its window. Overall, Windows 7 was slower than Vista. Sure, sure, it starts faster than any other M$ OS! But for someone who never shuts down his machine or puts it into hibernation/sleep, what good do faster boots do? I want my apps to run fast, not the boot process.

I was driven nuts and ran for the Mac shop.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just wait a few years. I just scooped up a G5 DP 2.0 (970fx) with a 9800XT/256 for $250...

Pretty awesome!:) That's the price I've been mentioning to folks that a person can get a 1.8-2.0ghz dual processor Powermac G5 for these days.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
I've used all Windows OSes since 3.1 with the exception of Windows Mistake Edition, and I have to say that Windows 7 is the worst. I loved Vista, and hoped that Windows 7 would be better, what a disappointment

Well you must be the one! - there's always an exception that proves the rule and you must be it. I think this is the only negative post I have ever read concerning W7 and have to say you are at odds with the rest of the planet.

Of course no Windows OS can compete with OS X

Totally disagree, W7 is more than a match for OS X.

Reaction score
Well you must be the one! - there's always an exception that proves the rule and you must be it. I think this is the only negative post I have ever read concerning W7 and have to say you are at odds with the rest of the planet.

Story of my life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.