online virus scan?

Reaction score
I am not running any virus software and I was just wondering if there is an online virus scanner like trendmicro for PC's. I know I am supposed to be immune now with Mac OSX, but it's nice to trust but verify.

I really didn't want to install ClamAV or any other virus software.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There aren't any on line scanners that are for the Mac. And the reason that is, is because there aren't any viruses in the wild than can infect a Mac.

Use ClamAV if you're worried about verifying your system is clean. You can always uninstall it after it completes its scan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For those concerned about their Mac, you can also read the first 2 paragraphs of the Clamxav home page where they will also tell you there are no viruses in the wild that can affect OS X and will provide you with the only real reasons for running a virus scan.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yes to look after Windows users lol!

That is why all the Mac AV software dealers can only distribute Windows Virus Definitions with their updates.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks all for your replies.

I have been told and read that viruses are not a concern for Mac users, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to run a quick and dirty scan every now and again just to make sure. I was gravitating toward an online scanner probably because I am still thinking like a Windows user and concerned about gunking up my system with excess software.

If I install ClamAv and then uninstall, I guess there are no registry entries to worry about and it is just gone with no adverse effects on system performance after deleted, right? I am still getting used to this idea!

C

chas_m

Given that Macs don't have a registry, there won't be any registry entries.

You'll find the Mac "registry" right next to all those Mac viruses, ie nowhere.

Let go of your Windows thinking and embrace the light side.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'll testify that the mere act of installing apps does not slow OS X down significantly the way it does in Windows. There really is no downside to experimenting with all the apps you would like to.

The first couple of years with my Mac, I installed and removed well over 200 apps a year. I have over 120 apps currently installed on this machine. My boot time after a clean install of Snow Leopard the first week after it was released was 28 seconds. My current boot time - 32 seconds.

For the most part, apps do not write anything into the system folders with OS X, so there is nothing added there to slow down the OS. You are now free to test out all the software you want, without the worry of it gunking up the gears of your OS.

The one thing to remember with removing the ones you test and decide you don't want to keep... if it had an installer, run it's uninstaller when you remove it. All of the ones (which are most of them) that are drag and drop into your Applications folder, you are good just dragging them to the trash. They leave nothing behind that is going to slow down your system.

My wife's Mac, now over 3 years old, has not had a clean install since it was brought home. It has gone through the upgrade process without a clean install from Tiger to Leopard to Snow Leopard. Hers still boots in just under 30 seconds and I can see no appreciable slow down. Show me a 3+ year old Windows machine that's been upgraded from XP to Vista to 7 that can boot in under 2-3 minutes and I'll give that man a cigar.

I'll also note here for the other new Mac owners reading this, I came to my first Mac as one of those hardcore hardware enthusiasts, building my own custom overclocked top of the line gaming rig once every year or so, reinstall Windows every 6 months, BlackViper was one of my favorite sites... You get the idea.

There really is no downside testing out all the software you would like. No more of that reading reviews to find the best one out there before you make a choice on which one you're going to get. It's freeware or shareware or has a free trial... download and install all you want.

Be happy... And free.

Reaction score
Bull%*$#

There aren't any on line scanners that are for the Mac. And the reason that is, is because there aren't any viruses in the wild than can infect a Mac.

That is B.S. You should do some research. They are not as popular, and not as easy to write, but there are many Antivirus companies with many AV signatures for Mac OS now.

Of the top AV vendors, most have a Free Download version for Mac OS which you can download and run.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I have been told and read that viruses are not a concern for Mac users, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to run a quick and dirty scan every now and again just to make sure.

Well, it would be a quick and clean scan, but if it will make you feel better, go ahead. ;)

To perhaps ease your mind a little: I've been using OSX for over 3-1/2 years now (not a early adopter!) and have never run a virus scan. No need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
That is B.S. You should do some research. They are not as popular, and not as easy to write, but there are many Antivirus companies with many AV signatures for Mac OS now.

Of the top AV vendors, most have a Free Download version for Mac OS which you can download and run.

Can you please name an OS virus?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
I run Kaspersky 2011 (Kasmac) on my i7 only for the fact that my Bank, Barclays, wont allow me to log into my account if I don't have it. The only good thing about it is they give every member using their on-line banking service the software for free.

Apart from that I wouldn't use an antivirus at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
I run Kaspersky 2011 (Kasmac) on my i7 only for the fact that my Bank, Barclays, wont allow me to log into my account if I don't have it. The only good thing about it is they give every member using their on-line banking service the software for free.

Apart from that I wouldn't use an antivirus at all.

Really? I bank with Barclays - & Live in Devon...

I can use the online banking on my imac without any virus software installed?

Is this new?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Really? I bank with Barclays - & Live in Devon...

I can use the online banking on my imac without any virus software installed?

Is this new?

How would Barclays know?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thats what I wondered, yet he says Barclays provided the software for for free?

Perhaps is a scottish thing?

It's one thing giving it out for free but another to actually use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac. Intel Quad Core. 16 GB Ram.
Well, that's been Barclays policy with all it's customers here in Bonny Scotland.

As for the how would they know. I quite agree with that statement. They wouldn't have a clue weather I was running it or not. I've even tried turning it off and logging in and had no problems whatsoever. At the heart of things I don't know why they bother. It's probably a promotional thing they have going with Kaspersky.

As far as the 'Wont let me log-in without running it' bit, I think they are just trying to protect customer interests.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.