Help with MacBook

Reaction score
Just got a macbook from a buddy that said he never used it anymore, I just reinstalled Mac OS X Snow Leopard and got to the login screen, I thought this would reformat it like a windows based computer but it didn't it still has his old username on it and I need a password but he forgot the password, how do I bypass the password? Or just do a clean install of Mac OS X without it bringing me right back to his login screen. I don't have any discs for it other than the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just got a macbook from a buddy that said he never used it anymore, I just reinstalled Mac OS X Snow Leopard and got to the login screen, I thought this would reformat it like a windows based computer but it didn't it still has his old username on it and I need a password but he forgot the password, how do I bypass the password?

Or just do a clean install of Mac OS X without it bringing me right back to his login screen. I don't have any discs for it other than the Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

Thanks!

You need to do a clean install of the Mac OS...then you will be able to create your own userid & password (or you can leave the password part blank).

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...you're using a Macintosh computer now not a Windows computer...so don't expect everything (or anything) to work like it does on a Windows computer!;) NOT different "bad"...or different "Good"...just different.:)

Reaction score
I made this mistake too!

You need to look for and select the option to "Erase and install"

see here for more info

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I made this mistake too!

You need to look for and select the option to "Erase and install"

see here for more info

Ok...what's your point or question?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Snow Leopard has taken away the Ability to let you choose how the install is performed so if you want to do a clean install, you need to boot from the Snow Leopard disk and Format your Hard Drive and then continue with the installation which will then set you up from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.