• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac Genius

Reaction score
In your opinion is it worth working for Apple as a "Mac Genius"? Any past employee experiences?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved to appropriate forum. This has nothing to do with Community Suggestions or Feedback.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Does it pay more than you make now? Have you ever worked in retail before? You will be working nights, weekends and holidays. You will be spending a lot of time on your feet.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
In your opinion is it worth working for Apple as a "Mac Genius"? Any past employee experiences?

It's worth it if you need the money...just like any job.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
You will be working nights, weekends and holidays. You will be spending a lot of time on your feet.

That sounds exactly like what I do for a living. :).
But back on topic, I thought if you worked behind the genius bar you were only at that desk helping people out with their Apple issues and the "sales" staff did the sales work. Or do people at the genius bar have to sell Apple products too?

C

chas_m

As a former Mac Genius myself, I think it's a tough job. It pays pretty well, but the key things that you HAVE to have is a thorough *and accurate* knowledge of Mac OS X and the most popular programs, *and* a genuine affection for people at all skill levels.

It is REALLY HARD to find "nerds" who have that second ability to really listen and enjoy bonding with customers who don't "grok" some of the key concepts.

Oops, I said "grok." What a giveaway, eh? :)

A *lot* of Mac nerds *think* they like people, but what they mean by "people" is "other Mac nerds." A Mac genius needs to be able to not only "read" people so that you can communicate at a level or pace that is comfortable for them, but to have *respect* for people you've only just met or who may clearly not share your views on certain things.

Trickier than it sounds!

Reaction score
As a former Mac Genius myself, I think it's a tough job. It pays pretty well, but the key things that you HAVE to have is a thorough *and accurate* knowledge of Mac OS X and the most popular programs, *and* a genuine affection for people at all skill levels.

It is REALLY HARD to find "nerds" who have that second ability to really listen and enjoy bonding with customers who don't "grok" some of the key concepts.

A *lot* of Mac nerds *think* they like people, but what they mean by "people" is "other Mac nerds." A Mac genius needs to be able to not only "read" people so that you can communicate at a level or pace that is comfortable for them, but to have *respect* for people you've only just met or who may clearly not share your views on certain things.

Trickier than it sounds!

Thanks for the crystal clear explanation of "Mac genius" i'm new to MAC world and have never heard about this term, now i do :)

Reaction score

Trickier than it sounds!

I pretty much am one of those nerds. I like helping people out with computers. However, of the three times I applied at the Apple Store in Albuquerque, I never was hired for it. If by "grok" you mean "screw up"?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.