• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Xmarks - Awesome Browser Sync going away - Unless You Sign Petition!

Reaction score
The excellent Xmarks (previously Foxmarks) is going away. :'( Unless they reach 100,000 signatures on this petition!

If you know what this tool is, you probably love it. If not, it's a browser add-on with support for Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari. It works on any platform these browsers are on. It syncs your bookmarks primarily, but you can also have it sync your passwords, open browser tabs, and history. It even supports multiple profiles (i.e. work, home).

I've been using this for years, and it is indispensible. Please help them stay alive :) If you are a user, please sign the petition. If not, well, I'd tell you to sign up, but I can see why you might not want to now, but please help us users!

'I will commit to $10 - $20 per year for Xmarks Sync' - PledgeBank (this does not require any payment, or info, all you have to give it is an email address, and click the link in your email - no personal info needed)

more info: Xmarks Blog

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Signed. I have been using this forever! However, I have already deleted it and I have started using Firefox Sync. It has been working fine, but obviously does not support any other browsers. I guess I can live with that since I use Firefox 99% of the time. I did sign the petition though and I would indeed pay for Xmarks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Only 75,000 more $10-$20 pledges needed by October 15! It is gone gone gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Only 75,000 more $10-$20 pledges needed by October 15! It is gone gone gone.

So they need pledges of $1 - $2 million per year to keep this ad-on going?

I really like it too, but something about this is all wrong.

OP
mostro
Reaction score
I think what they're doing is, saying we need at least 100,000 people to claim they will pay $10/year for this service, in order to expect that maybe one tenth or less of those people will become actual paying customers. They're being purposely liberal in their estimate of what they need, knowing that most people will never actually follow through.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Pledged. Xmarks has been a great service. You set it and forget it, it just works!

I would personally prefer a one time charge of say 10-20 dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It also works on the iPhone/iPad, which means you can use Firefox on the desktop and still stay in sync.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
I have it on my Firefox and my Safari... That way they both sync up.
Plus, I have MobileMe, so all my bookmarks sync up between my iPad, iPhone, iMac and MBP

OP
mostro
Reaction score
The internet mobilization worked! They have posted to the Xmarks blog today that multiple offers for purchase are now on the table, and they are confident that one will go through and the service can live on.

Xmarks Blog Xmarks Victory for the Users, by the Users

Here's to hoping the new owners will be as great as the Xmarks team has been...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.