Time Capsule on University Network

Reaction score
I am trying to set up a Time Capsule on my University's network. When I try to connect to the internet wirelessly from my MacBook Pro, the dns name servers don't respond (for quite a while 30-40 seconds). The progress bar in the address bar will go about the colon on http:// and stop there. Little snitch shows that it is sending outgoing to the correct name server, but getting no responses. I also shows outgoing traffic to many other other macbook's on the main university network. (All of these DNS processes are outgoing under the mDNSResponder). Sometimes it only happens for CNN.com - Breaking News, U.S., World, Weather, Entertainment & Video News, but not Google or AOL.com - Welcome to AOL, etc. Sometimes it happens for all of them. The PC that I have hardwired to the Time Capsule never has a problem. I had the EXACT same results with a linksys router (which is why I bought a Time Capsule to try). I do see a surge in correct behavior (pages load quickly) when the router is reset. Also, the local network (accessing the computers/printers on the Time Capsule) is very quick all the time.

I have tried using google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and those behave the SAME way as the university DNS. I have tried adjusting EVERY setting in both routers. I also ruled out interference from other networks by trying various channels on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz frequencies. Same results.

I have literally been fighting with this for a month and a half. When I am on the university wifi, I am able to connect to my Time Capsule (I have it set to bridge mode right now (although I tried all of them)). I am also able to access the printer from the university wifi. the only problem is that the printer prints very slowly through the university network and the Time Capsule backups are literally dead stopped.

I have tried everything. Please, someone must know something that I'm missing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.