MobileMe has 'kidnapped' my e-mail account ;-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late '09 iMac; Late '11 MBAir, 2017 iMac from ****!
Hey everyone! I am fairly new to Macs (11 months now....should'a done it years ago) and although I am still behind the Mac curve, I hope the apex is coming into view soon ;-)

I have MobileMe, but rarely use it. About 3 weeks ago, it "kidnapped" my regular e-mail account at bellsouth.net. IOW, all e-mail sent to that account now has to be accessed via MobileMe. I am flummoxed as to how to reverse this. I have used the 'chat with a MobileME advisor' twice in the past week but they haven't been much help. All I want is to have the e-mail sent to my bellsouth account to show up in my bellsouth mailbox...I don't want to have to fire up the MobileMe account to access my daily mails. I also have an iPhone but rarely use it either for accessing e-mail. Could it be linked in with this problem too?

TIA for any advice you may have concerning this... and when it comes time to 're-up' for MobileMe in 70 days, I plan on passing on that option and will remove it (hopefully) from my machine (a late 2009 iMac).

Thanks again!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Are you using Mail or the web interface for MobileMe? I have no idea how this is happening unless you set up your BellSouth account to get forwarded to your MobileMe account.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, mdfuller..I didn't give you enough information in my original post.

I am using the native e-mail proggie that came on the iMac..and no, I have not set up the program to forward my bellsouth mail to Mobile Me (if I did, I did it unaware :) .

I have checked under preferences in the Mail proggie several times and I cannot even find where I can forward mail to another account.

I am sure this difficulty is probably an easy fix, just checking or unchecking a box somewhere...it's just finding that box that is confusing me at this time. :|

Everything was just fine with all of this a few weeks ago until all my email started to go to Mobile Me and I sure don't remember switching anything under preferences or anywhere else to cause this to occur.

Thanks for the reply...and I'll keep looking on how to get this rectified. :Cool:

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
I meant checking the BellSouth account to see if it was being forwarded. There is no way it is going to magically start showing up in your MobileMe account for no good reason (unless you created that account in addition to the MobileMe one in Mail). Check the BellSouth account and let us know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Could the solution be as simple as clicking on the little gray triangle next to your main mail window to expand the list of accounts? Not really sure what the OP sees when looking at the mail program, but if the little triangle isnot expanded, it could look like all Bellsouth mail was being put into MM mail. What happens when you log into webmail for MM? Is the BGellsouth mail there? If so, then what MDFuller said is correct. If it is not there, it will be in your mail program somewhere.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mdfuller and skybolt...

The saga continues :\ Let me try to explain this a little better to you..maybe I haven't been as clear as I could be.

On 9/28/10, for some reason unbeknownst to me, any e-mails that were being sent to my bellsouth.net mail account stopped coming in under that account in Mail (on my Mac). All mail was coming in to the Mobile Me account. No one out there has my MM addy...just me. But everything sent to that bellsouth account shows up in the MobileMe mailbox.

I have logged onto my webmail account with bellsouth and there is no place there I can find where any mail sent to or by the bellsouth.net account is being forwarded to the MM account/mailbox. I have also checked out all my settings on my iPhone and again, I cannot locate even the option of forwarding emails from one account to another. On the iMac here at home, I cannot find that option either, anywhere in the Mail proggie.

I just do not know how or why MM has 'taken over' the bellsouth account.

Look, it's no real biggie.... I just do not know why all of this happened.

Mary....the little gray triangle is 'checked', it points downward and shows the two email accounts I have, the bellsouth one and the MM one.

I just now used my iPhone to send an email to the bellsouth account, sent it, turned off that account on the iPhone quickly so the email I just sent wouldn't 'loop back' to the phone only...and when the Mail proggie on the Mac pinged....I saw that email in the MM mailbox....not in the Bellsouth mailbox.

I only have 57 days left with the MM account...and since I hardly ever use it or the cloud features, I'll just not renew it, simple as that. If it is so difficult to get it to 'behave', I'll just zap it when the time comes.

I promise I made NO changed to any account on 9/28....everything was running just fine up to that date when MM started grabbing all the email sent to the bellsouth account and placing it into the MM mailbox.... I hope I have clarified this problem I am having to you guys so maybe we can get it noodled out! :Cool:

Thanks again for any input!

Pat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Delete both accounts in Apple mail and rebuild them. Sounds like the database may have become corrupted. Make sure you save any e-mails in the inbox first.

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks you, baggss.... I'll do that.

Now to figure out how to save all those e-mails before zapping the wayward accounts :)

Pat

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Before I closed down both mail accounts I re-read everyone's suggestion again and I logged back onto the webmail for bellsouth (it's now att/yahoo) I scoured through all the settings, opening up every topic and then I saw a topic called POP/Forwarding.

I opened that topic and there were two choices there... one to either forward spam to my account or have it removed at the server, and right below that option there was one more choice....Forward your att.net Mail and a small box behind that....and guess what? There was my MobileMe addy there!!!!

I have never, ever been on this website before....and there is absolutely no reason I'd ever want to forward my bellsouth mail to any other account.... but I removed the check mark there and the MM addy, sent myself an email from the iPhone, and guess what? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

I humbly thank each and every one of you who offered suggestions. How that box ever got checked and how my MM account ever got entered there is still a mystery to me since I have never visited that site, but now I have my bellsouth mailbox back and that's what matters!

Again, thanks to each one of you.

Pat

...just another Homer Simpson moment, I guess! DOH!!! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Before I closed down both mail accounts I re-read everyone's suggestion again and I logged back onto the webmail for bellsouth (it's now att/yahoo) I scoured through all the settings, opening up every topic and then I saw a topic called POP/Forwarding.

I opened that topic and there were two choices there... one to either forward spam to my account or have it removed at the server, and right below that option there was one more choice....Forward your att.net Mail and a small box behind that....and guess what? There was my MobileMe addy there!!!!

I have never, ever been on this website before....and there is absolutely no reason I'd ever want to forward my bellsouth mail to any other account.... but I removed the check mark there and the MM addy, sent myself an email from the iPhone, and guess what? PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!!

I humbly thank each and every one of you who offered suggestions. How that box ever got checked and how my MM account ever got entered there is still a mystery to me since I have never visited that site, but now I have my bellsouth mailbox back and that's what matters!

Again, thanks to each one of you.

Pat

...just another Homer Simpson moment, I guess! DOH!!! :eek:

Great news!

OP
p_rod
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mdfuller!

I just hope that someday I have enough knowledge about this machine where I can be of some help to a noob to Macs. Until then, I will probably be using this site for obtaining info, not knowing enough right now to 'share' what I know about the iMac.

Again, thanks to you and everyone else here for the assistance! ;D

Pat

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. You will probably have enough knowledge to be helpful sooner than you think. I have been using Macs for years and I still run into situations where someone with less experience on a Mac explains abetter/easier way of doing things.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.