• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie09 wont import converted AVDHD?

Reaction score
OK, first let me say if this has been discussed before I apologize for the repost. I tried searching for the answer and found similar problems but not his exact one and I have tried everything I know to get around it.

I am a skydiver and a BASE jumper and capture my jumps on my GoPro and my CX100. No issues with the GoPro footage but I am having a hard time with the footage from the CX100. I know this is because of the AVCHD format. As long as I import directly to iMovie09 from the camera there is no problems. However, someone has given me a card with the RAW .MTS files that i need to edit into a video project.

I tried several conversion tools out there just to find one that would let my mac view the footage in the original high quality. I finally tried Toast Titanium and it converted the footage beautifully into HDV .mov files that load up fast and look great. The problem is iMovie09 wont import these files. Confused, i clicked on get info and it has AIC as the codec, so I really dont know what the problem is. In messing around with Toast i found that if i convert to DV instead of HDV that iMovie will recognize and import that file, but the quality is crap.

Can anyone offer any insight?

Thanks!

-Joe

C

chas_m

The quality isn't crap ... the problem is that DV is a standard def codec, so it's downscaling your HD into SD. Not what you want to do.

I think the solution to your problem is that you have to convert the .MTS files into something iMovie will recognise (yes, I know it imports directly from the camera, but that's different: we're talking about a file type here).

I would first suggest you try the free MPEG Streamclip to handle this, primarily because it's free.

If that doesn't work, then I think VoltaicHD is your only other direct option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.