French accents on MacBook Pro?

Reaction score
I bought a MacBook Pro about 4 months ago in Canada (not sure if the region matters) and am looking at finding an easier way to write in French from copy/pasting the accents from Character Map, which takes ages. I saw on a website that you can click Option + some of the letter keys, but this results in mathematical/Germanic characters on my comp. How can I get French ones?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bought a MacBook Pro about 4 months ago in Canada (not sure if the region matters) and am looking at finding an easier way to write in French from copy/pasting the accents from Character Map, which takes ages. I saw on a website that you can click Option + some of the letter keys, but this results in mathematical/Germanic characters on my comp. How can I get French ones?

Here's what I found when I typed, "French Accents on Macintosh" into the Google search field:

How to Type French Accents

I hope that this is what you were looking for.:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Pigoo3,

I tried that exact article and it doesn't work, sadly. For example, Option + e + e for me results in: ´´, not an accent egu.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Pigoo3,

I tried that exact article and it doesn't work, sadly. For example, Option + e + e for me results in: ´´, not an accent egu.

I just tried the same procedure...and it worked for me. Here's what you have to do:

1. Press & hold the "option" key.
2. While pressing down on the option key now press the "e" key
3. This should give you this ' accent mark
4. Now press the letter key that you want the accent to appear above.

Here are some examples from my keyboard:

é á ó ú í

Here's a second article with a slightly different procedure. It has you pressing "option" plus the til key ~ instead of the e key...just in case it explains it better:

French accents on Mac OS X Leopard James Ward

Here are the results I got using this procedure:

è à ò ù ì

Hope this helps,

- Nick

p.s. Actually it seems that depending on what sort of French accents you're looking for...both procedures work. "Option + e" for Aigu accents...and "Option + ~" for Grave accents.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Otherwise go into the Apple store, not online, and order a French keyboard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.