Hello from a new switcher!

Reaction score
Hi y'all!

Been lurking on here after getting my MB for a while so thought i'd sign up since i really like this forum.

Last month I bought a MB as my laptop from 4 years ago was struggling with Vista. Not only did it become very slow (even after a clean install) it refused to sync to my new iphone4. At that point i thought enough was enough and defected to apple!

I have really enjoyed using my mac and cant believe its taken me this long to switch. Needless to say my iphone4 syncs without a problem.

I was a bit disappointed it only came with a C2D as I was expecting an i3. However it was not a deal beaker and i've also read up on why it was left out (space, heat, gpu etc).

One thing i could use some help on is how to keep my MB clean. Its nice and shiny just now but i saw a MB in the apple store and it had nasty swirl marks on the lid and palm rests :O. any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Welcome to the forums mate.

I use a damp cloth from time to time and there are other members who use a slightly different approach or a professional cleaning product.

Just ask away and you will get the answers you need.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
If you're really disappointed in the CD2, it's still probably not too late to get a Macbook Pro 13" which has an i5 core.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Welcome to the forum! I think you will find out that the C2D, if it's in the time frame of the 2.4ghz, it is more than capable of kicking the rear out of what you will be using your MB for. As for the cleaning/protection, I have only one, Invisishield!
I've had mine on my mbp15" since day one, still looks like new!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
If you're really disappointed in the CD2, it's still probably not too late to get a Macbook Pro 13" which has an i5 core.

The i5 is only in the 15" Pros not the 13"

C

chas_m

There are a number of third-party "sleeve" type cases (and hard-shell cases) that allow you to use the computer without removing the case. Take a look at examples from Speck and Incase on the Apple Store and then go exploring from there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
The OP didn't say if he needed the i5 core in a 13 inch model, but it just goes to show that the 13 inch MBP is really just a nicer looking Macbook.

OP
A
Reaction score
The OP didn't say if he needed the i5 core in a 13 inch model, but it just goes to show that the 13 inch MBP is really just a nicer looking Macbook.

yeah i didnt NEED an i3/i5 or whatever i just said it would have been nice to have to futureproof my laptop for a while.

Spec wise the MB = MBP so i thought i'd use the money elsewhere. I'm not too bothered about aluminium unibody - it just acts as a heat sink at the end of the day. MB also looks cool!

I remember with my 4 year old lappy, it had a core duo 1.67GHZ and core duo's were the best thing out. I think max speed was 2GHz so i wasnt too far off. 4 years down the line and its just a crappy old processor.

Thanks for the cleaning ideas. I dont think i'll buy a film or hard case to put on it. I think it should be rugged enough for day to day use. Any cleaning chemicals needed?

OP
A
Reaction score
So i switched from windows because internet explorer kept crashing and closing unexpectedly so guess what safari decided to do just now?!

Macs just work eh?...

sceen2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
So i switched from windows because internet explorer kept crashing and closing unexpectedly so guess what safari decided to do just now?!

Macs just work eh?...

Yea they do eh ??

There is probably a underlying problem....

1st i would clean you Mac up by repairing permission via disk utility Log out then Back in and it would have cleared Safari caches for you ... I have only ever ONCE had Safari crash on me and further investigation, it seemed i ended up causing the problem ....
So yea OS X is soo much cleaner than windows. Give it time and you will realise you made a good purchase.

You always see when people Switch to Mac that they say "Ill never go back to windows" BUT do you ever here someone say when they switched to windows
"Ill never go back to Mac" ??

Ohh hang on thats because when they switch to Mac they never ever will be going back to windows

Cheers

C

chas_m

Another potential problem: have you added any third-party add-ons?

I find Safari to be pretty solid but not perfect in terms of crashing. A malformed Java or Javascript thing (usually an ad) can cause an issue. Funky fonts can cause issues.

The great thing, however, is that if Safari (or anything else) does crash -- and again this is generally quite rare -- the rest of the system keeps on humming along.

Everyone expects that now, but it was still a novelty when OS X started. Windows did it *in theory* first, but not in my experience. :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Tesco site works fine from here. No crashes, glitches, or otherwise.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2007 white Macbook 2.2 Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB Ram
Works for me to .. No problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad
Hi,

No problems viewing Tesco here, oh by the way just had a Safari update now its 5.0.3 (6533.19.4);D

C

chas_m

So, now we've established that it's just the OP then ... since Flash is the number one cause of Safari crashes on the Mac, my first suggestion would be to make sure he's using the latest Flash plug-in.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.