My first post will be in the switcher forum...

S

SomaGaze

So, I’ve decided to get a new laptop. My current is a four year old dell (pIII 1.0GHz, 256MB pc100, 20GB hdd, 64MB GeForce 2 Go).

I plan on being away from my baby (AMD 64 4000+, 2GB, 2x GeForce 6800GT in SLI...definitely my gaming rig) for months at a time, I am in the Navy and that's how it is...

But I want more. I want stability, easy integration of peripherals (digital camera, miniDV camcorder, iPod-o-plenty, etc) along with great software to put them all together. I also want to rip all of my DVD's to some small format (I’m thinking DIVX) which would look great on a laptop (keeping the size ~1GB per movie). I'm thinking a 15" powerbook teamed up with a western digital 300GB external drive would fit the bill.

Here's what I’ve built (but I am still a little uneasy about clicking the "order" button):

15" Powerbook
1.67Ghz
1GB (not sure if should go 1 stick for future upgrade or 2 sticks)
128MB Ati card for "some" games
100BG Hdd
Superdrive
...also want AppleCare (hard lesson from my wife's Dell)

I quickly checked eBay and found something that seems too good to be true...
-clicky-
Do you think that is legit?

Well, other than my initial, "hello" I would just like to say this forum helped sway my decision and I am grateful for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
SomaGaze said:
I quickly checked eBay and found something that seems too good to be true...
-clicky-
Do you think that is legit?

It's fraud or the best deal ever. Guess which one. He'll end an auction early to sell you a high end Mac that would cost you twice that price for a refurb off of the Apple site...is throwing in the extra AppleCare...not only that...he has two of them?

Don't even think about it.

I'm guessing it's a hijacked account. If you check his history you will note that he usually sells action figures...now all of a sudden he's in the computer business.

OP
S

SomaGaze

Abdiel said:
It's fraud or the best deal ever. Guess which one. He'll end an auction early to sell you a high end Mac that would cost you twice that price for a refurb off of the Apple site...is throwing in the extra AppleCare...not only that...he has two of them?

Don't even think about it.

I'm guessing it's a hijacked account. If you check his history you will note that he usually sells action figures...now all of a sudden he's in the computer business.
i emailed him just to see what he'd say. i'm all for it as long as i get an official transaction through eBay and a garauntee that it is in perfect working order...

but i'm sure i will get no response whatsoever

good point on the account hijack...i noticed i couldn't find any feedback for any computers anywhere...yet another thing that supports the fraud theory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
SomaGaze said:
i emailed him just to see what he'd say. i'm all for it as long as i get an official transaction through eBay and a garauntee that it is in perfect working order...

but i'm sure i will get no response whatsoever

good point on the account hijack...i noticed i couldn't find any feedback for any computers anywhere...yet another thing that supports the fraud theory

Did you e-mail him at the nice bold link he posted in the discription or did you use the "ask the seller a question" link so it goes through Ebay? I notice that the addresses are different.

If you used the link in the posting then I'd try e-mailing the one attached to the account to see if the guy knows he's been hijacked.

OP
S

SomaGaze

Abdiel said:
Did you e-mail him at the nice bold link he posted in the discription or did you use the "ask the seller a question" link so it goes through Ebay? I notice that the addresses are different.

If you used the link in the posting then I'd try e-mailing the one attached to the account to see if the guy knows he's been hijacked.
did both. I'm always a little unsure about eBay. Never been bum-doped, but its hard to cinvince myself to spend that much money "hoping" people are trustworthy...

EDIT: got an email back from the eBay acount's email address, definitely hijacked...

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Note the link that was posted, had been removed. So it appear that is a fraud.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Oh, welcome to the forums :)

OP
C

catchawave

I bought an older laptop off ebay and I'm happy with the laptop BUT, (and this is why I really don't like buying on-line) the auction said that it comes with a battery but he wouldn't guarantee the life of the battery. Which was ok -- even if I go an hour out of a used one.
But there was no battery! Before I bought the laptop, and I asked him questions (and I had plenty), he promptly answered me. I got the laptop and I emailed him about the battery. It took him 3 days to email me back to tell me where the battery goes.
I email him back saying, yeah, I know where it goes - but, where is the battery? Asking him to send me the battery that was supposed to come with it.
Haven't heard back as of yet.
It's just annoying. I will give him a poor rating.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.