old router with new apple TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
I just got my Apple TV today. So far I love it!

I am having an issue streaming HD movies/TV shows purchased in iTunes on my iMac. Regular SD movies and shows seem to stream to the Apple TV without an issue. When I try to play the HD movies/shows, they buffer for EVER. It makes progress but is way too long. Right now, I'm trying to stream an HD episode of the Clone Wars Season 3 and it has been buffering for over 20 minutes.

I'm pretty sure my 802.11b router is the issue here but I wanted to check to see if anyone with a modern router is also having the same issue.

Planning to pick up a faster router tomorrow unless I hear otherwise from anyone. I'll write back with an update then.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
Anything with 802.11n should be a vast improvement with what you're seeing now.

Reaction score
Yeah, "b" is not going to cut it for streaming video. Any "n" device is a huge upgrade including Apple's Airport devices. Not all "n" devices are the same; read up on Dual Band before making a purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No way a "b" router is going to be able to handle HD streaming. Even "g" routers might give you trouble. Only solutions are to hard-wire it, or to get an "n" router.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i5 iMac w 8GBs, 32 GB iPod Touch, 2010 AppleTV, dead 120 GB iPod classic, 2x 2nd Gen iPod nano
thanks everyone! I just picked up a Netgear N router from HHGreg...it isn't dual band but it screams compared to my Flintstonian b. All of my HD content starts playing within 1 second of hitting play.

i love my new apple TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.