Sleep no longer working

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Hi All...
The Sleep function no longer works on my Mac Mini. The only changes I have made recently was I changed the desktop display and I set up the Speech commands...which work fair at best. Before that, everything was fine. I don't have the Time Machine going yet as I have had this computer (my first Mac) for only a couple of weeks. Any ideas or suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch MacBook Pro
You didn't add any software that gives you the option to never let the machine sleep did you? Things like logmein come to mind. I know logmein gives you the option during install in case you always want to be able to access your machine remotely. Did you check out the Energy Saver preferences?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Also is there any external device plugged into the Mini that might be keeping it awake?

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thanks for the reply...but, nope...no new software and I went in and "reset" the Sleep preferences to the default 15 minutes. All I have done is changed desktop picture to an existing one on the computer and set up Speech commands to change apps and simple stuff it allows you to do....Dogbreath

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I DID install Skype and a Logitech webcam for Mac...but Sleep worked fine for days after that. Otherwise nothing new software or hardware wise...I'm gonna cry...I broke my new Baby . . . Dogbreath

Maybe a simple restart will put it back together again...here goes

Let me be more specific...Sleep will work if I manually tell it to...but not after the auto setting of 15 minutes...I just did the restart. Let's see if that's what it needed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try to reset the SMC on your new baby and see if that works. Let us know.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Disabled Speech Commands and a restart

It Sleeps like a baby now. I did this before I got the suggestion from CHSCAG about the SMC. I disabled the Speech/Voice commands app and did a restart. Maybe the Mini isn't supposed to Sleep when the Speech/Voice commands app is used or maybe it was the restart. I guess i should have tried one at a time to see which worked. I will re-enable the Voice/ Speech app and see if it Sleeps automatically now. If not, I will perform the SMC and leave the Voice/ Speech app enabled to see if it will Sleep automatically with it running. Thank you for all the help and I will let you know how it turns out. . . . Dogbreath

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It seems my Mini is working as it should. She went to Sleep with the Voice/Speech app ON. CHSCAG...performing a SMC sounds like a serious deal. Although I didn't have to do that, thank you for the suggestion and that's one I'll keep in the back of my mind for future reference. Thanks again to all . . . Dogbreath

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Give Up

I give up. It's not Sleeping again. So I did as CHSCAG recommended and did the SMC thing. It worked for a couple of Sleeps...then it stopped Sleeping automatically again. I guess I'll either abandon using the Speech/voice thing, or turn it on and off when I want to use it or make the Mini Sleep manually. Thanks again to all . . . Dogbreath

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The speech/voice utility is probably the culprit. Think about what it does... it has to remain active at all times when it's turned on. We can't be sure 100% of that but if you've turned it off and it sleeps OK, that's a good indication. Let us know.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CHSCAG...I came to that same conclusion last night...It DOES have to run constantly to do what it does. So as long as the computer sees something working/running, then it knows it's not bed time. I cut the utility off and it Sleeps like it should. Now it's just a matter of which way I prefer to run it...I can always put it to Sleep manually. We live and we learn...Thanks, CHSCAG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.