Ethernet Network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
I'm having a tremendous amount of trouble getting my Mac to talk to my Windows 7 (surprise, surprise!) machine. Neither one is able to see the other. I had hoped to use this ethernet connection to transfer files from the Win7 to the Mac -when I read the Missing Manuals, it all seemed so straight-forward -yeah right!!!

So with a wired Ethernet connection directly between the Mac and the Win7, I am seeing a Yellow light on the System Preferences--Network page on the Mac which is also indicating a self-assigned IP. So far, so good (I think). On the Win7 in the Network & Sharing Centre, I'm seeing an Unidentified Network which seems to encompass both this ethernet connection and the VirtualBox Host-Only network -which is non-functional at this moment, because the ethernet port on the Win7 machine usually carries all the Internet traffic, but is obviously unplugged to allow this "simple" set-up.

Would surely appreciate any advice that could be offered!

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't ask me why it's (Win7 machine) just appeared on my Mac and started working! All I did was walk away from it for around 10 minutes!!! Strange...

Anyway, my iTunes library is currently transferring at around 45MB a second ;) Works for me!!!

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just in case anyone else is having similar troubles, here's an idea of my set-up and how I got it all working:

• MBP via AirPort to Time-Capsule which has an Ethernet connection to my router
  • Windows PC via Ethernet to the router

A direct Windows PC to MBP connection via Ethernet doesn't seem to work at all. Going via the router to both machines has worked the magic.

Once all is connected and turned on with the appropriate sharing permissions set on the Windows PC, the Windows PC appears in the Finder under Shared. From that point on, it's a very straight-forward file operation to transfer data from one machine to the other!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
you need to use the router,the only way you can do just ethernet if its a windows machine transfering to a windows machine. also, the router is kind of like the middle man, its like trying to go to a factory and buy food instead of walmart. just doesnt work.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you need to use the router...

Yep, thanks ZachUSAman, if you read my post, you'll see that's exactly what I'm doing. I discovered that a direct Ethernet connection doesn't work, which prompted me to update this thread so that others don't need to go thru the same trial and error process, as I did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
Yep, thanks ZachUSAman, if you read my post, you'll see that's exactly what I'm doing. I discovered that a direct Ethernet connection doesn't work, which prompted me to update this thread so that others don't need to go thru the same trial and error process, as I did.
erm, why did you bold my name? Also, I was just explaining WHY it didnt work. oh, and if you do a ton of large file transfers at once, be sure to keep your router cool.

OP
RadioSaigon
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
erm, why did you bold my name?

Certainly no offence intended... merely a long-standing practice (considered SOP, courteous) on other internet forae I frequent. Is it not an appropriate practice here?

...if you do a ton of large file transfers at once, be sure to keep your router cool.

very handy tip -thanks! Will have to keep an eye on that; my router usually sits waaay down "outta sight, outta mind" off the back of my desk!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.