root user works, added admin doesn't

Reaction score
I bought my first mac on ebay, g5 20 imac running 10.5.8. The original owner account had no password, neither did root. I enabled root login and created a new admin account with my name and deleted the original account. When I login as root, everything works. When I login with the new admin account, I cannot change desktop settings, get "not enough disk space" errors when downloading programs (firefox, skype). I ran repair permissions, no change. I do not have the original install disks but am not oppossed to buying them if necessary. If that is the case, how do I know what will install on my mac and where to I buy them? I do have a set of imac install disks (10.5.6) so can run utilities from them if needed.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You really need a set of install disks. Unless your Leopard 10.5.6 is a retail set, black color, it won't work on the G5. And a retail set of Leopard disks is expensive - around $129 or more.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks, for your reply, my install disks are gray. So I assume a clean install is the fix? Since I don't have the correct install disks, when I purchase a retail 10.5, will it install on my G5? I understand that 10.6 requires and intel processor. Is there an option to purchase the correct install disks (from Apple)? Lots of questions, I know...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can always contact Apple about getting a set of original install disks, however, your G5 probably did not come with Leopard pre-installed. It possibly may have had Tiger installed?

And yes, Leopard 10.5.8 will install on your G5. Leopard is a good stable release of OS X and will work well on your machine. The only drawback is trying to find a retail Leopard set at a decent price. You might want to keep your eyes on eBay or Craig's list as you never know - you may get lucky.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks a ton, chscag! I'll shop for the retail 10.5.8 and then won't need the install disk set. I would still like to figure out why I can't add an admin user though... once I have install disks, I'll experiment more. If I break it, I'll install then. I don't have any data to worry about since I just got started with the mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.