N and G ?? Any significant difference ??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
I have just moved into a premises where ill have a home Broadband connection. I found this Linksys WRT54GP2-NA Wireless Router that was originally $219 AUS dropped down to $29 AUS. Bargain in my eyes.

Now its a G router and from what i have read, the most significant difference is the N router should be able to download at twice the speed.
Now my new router can Max out at 54mb/s and i know my SpeedNet test on it wont show anywhere near that.
So in my own little world i dont see the need for a N router because im not going to get those download speeds anyways ??

Or am i missing something here. Remember im not hooked up yet so i cant give any factual data ATM ...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
The N speed is really for transfers between computers/devices on the same network.

As far as speed on the web… Your ISP is going to be your choke-point, not the router, so the G would be fine.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Agreed… seems like quite the price drop!!!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The N speed is really for transfers between computers/devices on the same network.

As far as speed on the web… Your ISP is going to be your choke-point, not the router, so the G would be fine.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say...nice post "Ride"!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.