Looking To Convert Economically

Reaction score
Looking to convert to a mac.

But I'm looking to do this as economically as possible to get my feet wet.

What I would like to be able to do with my first mac:

Edit Photos ( I would be interested in something like Aperture)

Work (Word editing programs, spreadsheets, email client)

Internet

I want to purchase a macbook or macbook pro for portability first if possible. Then later on purchase a desktop like an imac. If I were to purchase an imac now, I would have to be able to run windows on the machine also, I would prefer not to dual boot and just run it in the apple OS because it would only be for minor work programs, nothing real demanding on the pc. Really only 2 programs and both require very minimal system requirements.

I do like things to work quickly though, but am unsure of what specs that would mean with a mac, in windows I know basically load it up with ram and cpu power.

Any suggestions on a good way to get started? If more information is needed please ask, I'm willing to discuss as much as needed to get me going on the right track.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Welcome!

Save some cash and buy a refurbished unit direct from Apple.

The least expensive way to start would be a Macbook (if you've ruled out the Mac Mini due to portability).... The Macbook will take care of everything you are doing.

If you are wanting to get your "feet wet" first before taking the plunge, I think the refurb Macbook is the way to go. If you fall in love, and want to move into more speed and specs you can sell it, and make most of your investment (I use that term very loosely in regards to computers as they are certainly not an appreciating asset ;) ) and put it toward a MBP or iMac.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
But I'm looking to do this as economically as possible to get my feet wet.

As far as a new computer...like "Ride" suggested...buying a refurbished computer from Apple is the most economical route.

But if you truly want to stick with the most economical route...buying a used computer is the least expensive way to "get your feet wet". For most of the computing tasks you listed...you could probably get an older Macintosh for $100-$150 bucks that would do that stuff. Then if you like the "Macintosh Experience"...you could spend more $$$ on a more powerful computer.

If you gave us an idea of your budget...that would help narrow the possibilities.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
I would say for starters, I would like to keep it under $1,000.00

So for that, the best bang for my buck that can do word docs, spreadsheets, typical work related tasks, internet, aperture for my photos and keep up with my itunes library, I forgot to mention that earlier.

I want to try out a mac, but I don't want to try out a 6 year old mac. If that makes sense. Lets say the best bang for my buck at under $1,000.00.

What has peaked my interest is I was in Boston last week on vacation and across the street from my hotel was an Apple store. And in my hotel in the business center was 1 Windows 7 PC and the rest were iMacs. So I was able to play around some. And since using Windows since it first came out and using dos before that with a little linux mixed in over the past 10 years, I'm ready to give something new a shot. And for my first time on a mac, it seemed, just plain easy. And now here I am, doing my research before purchasing.

Also I used to be a very big PC gamer. I haven't played a PC game in 2 years and don't plan on it again ever. So I'm looking for functionality now. And not just raw power. If this all works out and I fall in love, I will definitely upgrade in a year or two at the most.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Here you go!!! $949.. Unibody Macbook, direct from Apple.

It will handle waaaay more than the stuff you listed, but it's the least expensive Unibody MacBook refurb they have. For $100 less you can get the White poly macbook.

Product Details

Enclosure Precision aluminum unibody
Processor 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
L2 Cache 3MB shared
System bus 1066MHz
Memory 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500); supports up to 4GB
Hard drive1 250GB Serial ATA; 5400 rpm
Slot-loading optical drive 8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory2
Video Built-in iSight camera; Mini DisplayPort output port with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (requires adapters, sold separately)
Display 13.3-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen display, 1280-by-800 resolution
USB Two USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)
Audio Built-in stereo speakers, built-in omnidirectional microphone, combined optical digital input/analog line in, combined optical digital output/analog line out
Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit) Ethernet
Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (based on IEEE 802.11n draft specification)3 ; built-in Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
Hardware accessories 60W MagSafe Power Adapter, AC wall plug, power cord, lithium-polymer battery
Height 0.95 inch (2.41 cm)
Width 12.78 inches (32.5 cm)
Depth 8.94 inches (22.7 cm)
Weight 4.5 pounds (2.04 kg)4

OP
N
Reaction score
That was snagged up already by the time I got there. That gives me a good idea of specs though to keep an eye out for. I will look around and keep my eye out on the refurbished section to see if anything like that pops up.

C

chas_m

If you're not married to having a portable, then I'd also suggest you look at the Mac mini (either new or refurbished). Bring your own keyboard mouse and screen (or buy them separately. An excellent choice of starter desktop for the non-hardcore-gamer.

OP
N
Reaction score
Another thing I just want to mention, I'm basically my companies IT man so to speak. I decide and program all our servers and pc's at our office. We aren't very big, 10 person company in the office and about 60 in the field, we are an electrical construction company. But to get to my point. If my dealings with MAC workout well, my boss and I have been toying with the idea of dumping windows at work and going to an apple environment, mac's and mac server. We have 10 desktops, 2 laptops and 2 servers.

In discussing things with my boss today, the company is considering funding some of my mac trials. So there may be a possibility I can upgrade even more, but to do this I would need to have a mac that can run Windows XP (with the possibility of Windows 7) using something like Parrallels or Fusion to truly test how this would work in our work environment. Our estimating software only runs in windows, so not having windows isn't an option.

Now that I know what I could use for my little computer at home, would I have to get something more powerful to be able to use a a "work trial" computer? Nothing we use is extremely hardware intensive. Would the above mentioned work for the same purpose, or would I need to go up on certain hardware in a mac?

Thanks again for any input.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would say for starters, I would like to keep it under $1,000.00

For the best bang for your buck you almost always get more computer for your money with a desktop vs. a laptop. Of course if you need portability/mobility...then a laptop would be better.

At around $1000 dollars...here's what I would recommend a 24" iMac:

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

- great looking 24" display
- fast 2.93 Core 2 Duo cpu
- 4 gig of ram (expandable to 8 gig)
- good graphics hardware (NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 with 256MB memory)
- 640gig hard drive

Just slightly over $1000...at $1039.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
go to the apple store and play around with the macs, best way to get a start on them without having to buy, plus you get to play with everything...

OP
N
Reaction score
That would be the best most likely, but that is a 3 hour drive in any direction for me. I was able to do this while in Boston last week, which is what has me now interested in owning one.

C

chas_m

The MacBook, Mac mini, iMac and MacBook Pro can all run Windows via a virtulization program -- I'd recommend trying both Crossover and VirtualBox to see which "style" works best for you.

Crossover doesn't run all Windows programs, but the cool thing about it is that it doesn't require a copy of Windows. If it can run your one or two Windows-only programs (you'll have to test that), it is the most "seamless" method of using a handful of Win programs in a Mac environment.

VirtualBox is very similar to Parallels and VMWare's Fusion, except that it's free -- which makes it perfect for a trial. It does require a Windows install.

Whichever model you choose, I'd recommend fitting it with at least 4GB of RAM to help the Windows virtualization run more smoothly. You can either order it with 4GB pre-added, or order it with the minimum and add more RAM from third-parties later (recommended).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.