Backing Up Home Directory/Library?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
I would like to leverage the collective wisdom of the more knowledgeable heads here on the Mac Forums. I am firming up my online backup strategy for my MBP with Jungle Disk Desktop/Amazon S3 and am in two minds if I need to backup my home directory/library. I would like the pros & cons to including this folder please.

I already have my local backup system worked out with a TM/TC combo. Thanks.

Mark

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In my opinion, any on line backup strategy should include the entire disk. But of course that's up to you. Take note that an entire hard drive back up on line may take days to complete depending on how much data you have.

OP
Diamondback
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27-inch 2020 iMac; 3.8GHz 8-core Intel Core i7 processor; 32GB RAM; Radeon Pro 5500 XT; 2 TB SSD
In my opinion, any on line backup strategy should include the entire disk. But of course that's up to you. Take note that an entire hard drive back up on line may take days to complete depending on how much data you have.

Thanks chscag. I was trying to limit my online storage strategy to include only critical data that I could not recover/rebuild if I had to reconstruct my MBP from scratch following a catastrophic loss of my local backups and computer. I currently have my documents, pictures and music folders covered by was unsure if I should also include my home directory/library folder. If a catastrophe did occur I do not need to get up and running that quickly and can obtain the OS, apps, etc. from the usual sources.

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Mark,
Personally, I consider my "mission critical essentials" to be documents, pictures, and music. If you have any movies and if you keep "important" stuff on your desktop (my dumping ground for random, yet important, files), I'd back up those folders, too. Other than that, though, I think backing up the entire home folder is a bit of a waste (besides the Downloads folder, if you keep anything important in there). Moreover, if you already have a local TM/TC backup of everything, then these bare essentials (music, movies, pics, documents, etc) are the only things you really need to backup.

Just my opinion. Hope that helps.

OP
Diamondback
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Zach. Your advice helped to keep me focused on the essential files.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.