Little advice please.

A

anjam

I got a g4 ibook a year or so ago but been doing a lot of work with access and stuff and only had that on my dell. So anyway i've been having a lot of problems with the pc and just want to leave it and move all my personal and business related stuff over to my mac.

I am running a ibook g4
800mhz
384 ram
it's like a year old but in pretty decent condition.

I have purchased microsoft office for it as well as photoshop and am going to get the dreamweaver trial to run that and see what its like before i buy that.

I just bought tiger last night and have got it running and just playing around with the widgets and stuff whilst having my breakfast.

My question to you guys is, do you think my lil 800mhz can handle the tasks im requiring it to do? Keep track of clients via our online project management thing, use office, play itunes, sync with my k750i, a little bit of photoshop work every once in a while and possible run msn. I'm prepared to spend a bit of money on it like beefing up the ram. Whats the max it can take? i presume one of the ram stickys, either then 128 or 256 is soldered onto the motherboard so which one do you think it would be, and where is the best place to get ram from in the UK?

I also forgot to mention that i have purchased the airport wireless thing.

Thanks

OP
H

Harryc

That model has a 640MB max RAM. You'd be happier if you maxed it out, particularly if that is going to be your main computer. It should handle what you've mentioned with no problems. Get a single 512MB module(128MB is already soldered onto the systemboard). I do not know sources in the UK, although if Crucial has an outlet or ships to the UK that's the route I'd look into.

OP
A

anjam

640 doesn't sound like much i have a gig in my dell and its still slow and its like a 3.2 or something p4 processor. Hmmm still convinced im going to go with apple all the way this time. I was tempted to get a powerbook but what with all the news about intel chips etc coming out i thought i may as well just stick with this. Can someone confirm that 640 is the maxi can stick in my ibook in terms of ram.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I think you can just slap a Gig in there, and it will work as well, but officially it only supports configurations up to 640MB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.