Need Help Badly!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 3.06GHz 10.6.5 8GB (1067) 500GB HDD MBP 13" 2.66GHz 8GB (1067) 500gb HDD
Hi,
Pulling my hair out over this and have tried a search on the forum but no solutions have worked for me!
It's basically the 'stuck on blue screen on start-up' syndrome!
I've tried the disc utility repair from OSX disc, Removed all login items from preferences/accounts/login items, and also removed any items from both HD/Library/startup items folder, and HD/System/Library/startup items folder.
My only way of restarting is in safe mode, which plays havoc with my blue-tooth devices, namely my wacon tablet.
Anybody got a suggestion that could work? Have dealt with apple support since the start but their suggestions are straight out of apples online support forum!
I'm running 10.6.4 on the nearly newest imac 21.5" (purchased Jan 2010), 3.06GHz.
Any help much appreciated,
Cheers
Keith

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is there any reason you have not taken the machine in to Apple and have them look at it for you? If there's an Apple store nearby, call and make an appointment with their genius bar. Your machine is still under warranty, take advantage of it while you can.

Back to your problem: Did Apple support suggest resetting the PRAM / NVRAM?
PRAM stores the start up disk information. It's possible it may be corrupt.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi chscag,
Here's the problem! In ireland, you gotta hand over your mac, where it gets sent off to the states. Official turn around time is 2/3 weeks, but i've heard experiences where it's been a lot longer! I cannot be without the computer for that long, as i have clients waiting on their albums, etc around the clock!
No, I didn't hear anything about resetting the PRAM / NVRAM!
How do you do that?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Instructions are in chscag's post where he suggests it (it's a link at the end of the question).

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ahh yes, sorry. Missed that! I actually have done that a lot of times (wasn't sure exactly it's use beyond making sure i got passed the blue screen! So it works on startup, but does not rectify the problem long term (if i restart the computer as normal, i get stuck again!) Cheers for the advice though.
Any other suggestions?

C

chas_m

So what you're saying is that the computer boots up perfectly fine in safe mode, but otherwise gets hung up.

This points pretty clearly to a still-not-removed startup item. We can test this by having you boot up in safe mode and create a new admin-level account, make it the default account (or better yet turn off auto-login), then reboot and log into it. If everything works as it should, you have some additional digging to do.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Chas_m,
Your idea worked. I created a new default admin account and turned off Auto login. It booted straight up. So, it looks like there is still a login item not gone, but it shows nothing in my account settings. Where would i most likely find it? Would it be in a systems folder? As i mentioned before, there is nothing in both the Library/startup items and System/Library/Startup items folders on the hard-drive!

C

chas_m

Have a look in Users/(problemaccount)/Library/LaunchAgents while booted in safe mode. The other one (/Library/LaunchAgents) is obviously okay, no need to mess with it.

Start by removing all NON-apple items in there and see if that clears the issue. If not, try removing all items in there and see if THAT clears the issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.