Is Automatic Updates really automatic?

Reaction score
I try to keep my Macbook up to date. I have yet to experience a problem after an update, unlike my experience on PC.

However, I have my settings set to Automatic Update to check daily. However, I have yet to get a message that tells me that there is something to install.

When I check for updates manually there are often updates, but I thought that it should be taken care of automatically.

Have I misunderstood the function of Automatic Updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Software Update, if scheduled to check for updates, should notifiy you when one you "need" is available, but you have to decide whether to accept it or not. It doesn't sound like it it set up properly, or there is a problem with Software Update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini OS X 10.6.4, 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD
Software Update, if scheduled to check for updates, should notifiy you when one you "need" is available, but you have to decide whether to accept it or not. It doesn't sound like it it set up properly, or there is a problem with Software Update.

I have the same problem, can you tell me where/what to check to make sure it set up properly?

I don't get notices either, but when I check there will sometimes be an update to accept.

Thanks for anyone's help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It helps if you provide operating system details, however assuming you are using a recen t OS, go into System Preferences > Software Update and select the check weekly and download buttons.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It helps if you provide operating system details, however assuming you are using a recen t OS, go into System Preferences > Software Update and select the check weekly and download buttons.

Not sure if this was for me or to the OP, but I have my details in the description/details box.

Thanks, though, I checked my settings and they are set for weekly. The only thing I can figure is I have been checking on my own before it hit/s the weekly check. I don't think I have ever let it go a full week without manually checking.

Thanks again!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
They were for the OP, and perhaps OP the updates are in the Downloads folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They were for the OP, and perhaps OP the updates are in the Downloads folder?

Well, thank you for the help anyway, it solved my issue!!! :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
For the OP:

If yours is set properly, it could be a corrupt plist file:

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.SoftwareUpdate.plist

Find that and move it to your Desktop.
Now go into Software Update to create a new default plist file.
Now wait at least a day longer than the interval you've selected to see if it prompts you. If it doesn't, it could mean there just isn't anything new. So check manually again.
Next thing is to find this thread and report what happens! Good luck!

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I am running 10.6.4

No updates have been downloaded without my knowing it. I checked the folder. Besides, the Automatic Updates in System Preferences says that I should be notified when it's ready to be installed; this has never happened.

toMACsh: I did as you said and will now just have to wait a while until there is an update. Thanks for the tip.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Just check your internet dowloading activity. Cause I used to have my software update on auto checking And it used t just download then without telling me and install the updates without telling me too. I only noticed it by checking my download activity one day and saw that the software update was in the download list. So I made software not automatic and I check it from time to time manually and I'm much happier that way.

Just a little note/warning to the original poster here.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
It will never install an update without telling you (unlike some other OSes) and this is correct behavior. However, you can have it download the packages in the background so when you decide to update, it doesn't have to do this.

Bear in mind that whenever you update iTunes, the terms and conditions change and you have to agree to them again, on all of your devices...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just FYI to the OP...

There was an iTunes update on Sept 25, maybe 26th....Did you get that one?

If not, the next time your update is checked (if run weekly for instance), you should have that - and as Zoolook stated; There will be a new agreement to agree to (or not).

OP
T
Reaction score
jsgal: I had already downloaded and installed that update manually, so can't check with that one.

Basically, my settings have been set to Automatic since I bought my Macbook Pro. However, I have always been forced to do a manual check when it comes to updates.

I did as others suggested and will wait a while for the next update to see if something happens automatically.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.