Changing back from os x to os 8.5

Reaction score
Hi there

i recently have my imac g3 running on os x but i want to put it back to the original software os8.5. does anyone know how to do this? i havre tried to install it but it wants os 9 classic which i dont have.

thanks from Caroline

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You should be able to boot form your OS 8 CD and just wipe the drive. Then you can install OS 8 again.

You can do this using the Drive Setup app on your OS 8 CD. Just put in the CD and hold down the "C" key while the Mac is rebooting.

OP
C
Reaction score
i tried open drive setup and it says " =classic startup found no system folder on the boot volume from which to start classic. see your documentation for instructions on how to install os 9.1 or later"

I have also tried pressing c when it starts up and it just loads os x each time.

Help!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You can also wipe your drive using the OS X disk. Boot from the OS X CD and use Disk Utility to just erase the drive.
Then you should be able to boot and install from the OS 8 CD.

OP
C
Reaction score
i have wiped the drive using disk utility using the os x disc. how do i eject the disc so i can run the os 8 disc? i have a slot loading drive and it wont eject it just keeps trying to load os x

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
cazza1013 said:
i have wiped the drive using disk utility using the os x disc. how do i eject the disc so i can run the os 8 disc? i have a slot loading drive and it wont eject it just keeps trying to load os x

Restart the machine while holding down the mouse button. The drive should pop open.

OP
C
Reaction score
i have done that but all i get on the screen is a blue file with a face and a flashing question mark. i am trying to run my original discs (imac software restore and software install) i have tried both and they both do the same

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.