New Audio CD not recognized...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
I just bought a great new CD by Thousand Foot Krutch, but it won't play on my Power Mac! The computer will try to recognize the CD and just eject it. It works in my CD player though, so it must be a copy protection. I listen to all my music on my computer, and keep CDs for backup- does anybody know of a solution to this problem (i.e. patch, freeware, etc.)?

Also, is this a common thing with new CDs? If so, I'll quit buying and just download all my new music from now on...

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Funnily enough, my mom's Powerbook G4 (OS 10.3) will recognize and rip it...

Anybody know why this is?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well they use different types of drives and with copy protected disks it can often be a hit or miss thing...
Since they don't conform to the actual "CD" standard, some players/drives have trouble reading them...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Aptmunich said:
Since they don't conform to the actual "CD" standard, some players/drives have trouble reading them...

Discs with copy protection all conform to the red book standard as they are just regular cd's with an extra couple of files on the disc. DualDiscs which are just now starting to catch on do not conform, as they are slightly thicker causing many drives difficulty importing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
trpnmonkey41 said:
Discs with copy protection all conform to the red book standard as they are just regular cd's with an extra couple of files on the disc. DualDiscs which are just now starting to catch on do not conform, as they are slightly thicker causing many drives difficulty importing
Actually, not all of them do:
http://wired-vig.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,50101,00.html

That's why the first batch of copy protected disks wouldn't play in certain players (car CD players etc).

OP
sevenhelmet
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see... any way around this problem, aside from swapping out my mac's optical drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.