Mac-Mini

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Unibody Macbook Pro, Iphone 4 16G
So I'm new to Mac, but I have a Macbook Pro, I'm looking to get a new computer (desktop) within the next few months. What are the positives and negatives of the mac-mini? It just seems like such an affordable option to a computer. I really don't want to buy some cheap PC piece of junk so if the Mini is a good option I'd like to know. I was just looking at one on Apple's website Refurbished Mac mini 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mac Mini is a good option if you're looking for an inexpensive desktop machine which has a fair amount of power. It's small and compact and fits most anywhere a notebook computer would. The drawback of course is that you must supply your own monitor, mouse, and keyboard which adds to the cost if you don't already have them.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The new Mac Mini's with their improved processor, memory capacity and HD space are very attractive machines with a LOT of capability. Short of running some VERY intensive applications (I'm thinking heavy video/photo rendering, CAD, and so on) the Mac Mini is totally capable of doing most things very nicely. Additionally, the Mac Mini is very compact and VERY quiet..

Regards

C

chas_m

Really, the Mac mini is an excellent choice in terms of power and ability per $. Apart from not having a dedicated graphics card, it closely matches what until VERY recently was the low-end of the iMac line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
What are you wanting out of a computer that your MacBook doesn't offer? That is perhaps the best question on which to do some soul-searching before you buy another computer.

Do you just feel like you should have a desktop computer? If so, resist the urge. Use your MacBook as your desktop and spend your money elsewhere. (ex. iPod Touch)

Do you feel like you need more power? If so, I don't believe the Mini is much (if any) more powerful than your MacBook. In that case, you should probably look upmarket a bit to the iMac or Mac Pro.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you wanting out of a computer that your MacBook doesn't offer? That is perhaps the best question on which to do some soul-searching before you buy another computer.

Do you just feel like you should have a desktop computer? If so, resist the urge. Use your MacBook as your desktop and spend your money elsewhere. (ex. iPod Touch)

Do you feel like you need more power? If so, I don't believe the Mini is much (if any) more powerful than your MacBook. In that case, you should probably look upmarket a bit to the iMac or Mac Pro.

It's not really an issue of power or anything, I just simply enjoy the convenience and "feel" of a desktop computer. It's nicer for me to type on a desktop, be able to lean back in my computer chair and not be holding my whole system. Maybe an option could be simply a new monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Would this be as simple as a chord from my mac to a monitor, then a usb-mouse and keyboard? That would definitely be cheaper.
*I have a 13" late 2009 "base model" macbook pro unibody*

Thanks for you comments guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
I have a Mac mini. Love it. If you really love the feel and convenience of a desktop machine, I highly recommend it. You might even want to consider selling the MacBook Pro and using the money from that to fund an iPad purchase. It's a great combo and the one I'm currently using for myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" macbook, 4th gen ipod touch
It's not really an issue of power or anything, I just simply enjoy the convenience and "feel" of a desktop computer. It's nicer for me to type on a desktop, be able to lean back in my computer chair and not be holding my whole system. Maybe an option could be simply a new monitor and a wireless keyboard and mouse. Would this be as simple as a chord from my mac to a monitor, then a usb-mouse and keyboard? That would definitely be cheaper.
*I have a 13" late 2009 "base model" macbook pro unibody*

Thanks for you comments guys!

If that is the case, i would suggest just getting a monitor, and a bluetooth keyboard, and magic mouse. Or if you have a usb mouse and keyboard, and a monitor, just get the mini display adapter.

Would end up cheaper than the mini. If there is no specific need for the mini, other than you just wanting a desktop, then just set the macbook up to be a desktop. No need to spend extra money if you dont have to. ;P

Reaction score
Sometimes I think the Mac mini is bait and switch. Sure it's cheap, but it plus a nice monitor (if you don't already have) it's not much cheaper than an iMac. But if you don't need all of that power then the Mac mini should be fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Sometimes I think the Mac mini is bait and switch. Sure it's cheap, but it plus a nice monitor (if you don't already have) it's not much cheaper than an iMac.

Like you said, it all depends on if you have a monitor already. If I didn't already have one (plus an Apple keyboard and Magic Mouse), I would have probably bought an entry-level iMac as well.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Sometimes I think the Mac mini is bait and switch. Sure it's cheap, but it plus a nice monitor (if you don't already have) it's not much cheaper than an iMac.

The original concept of the Mac-Mini is you're supposed to already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse when purchasing the Mac-Mini...that's why it's a low cost alternative to a "traditional" desktop computer purchase where you have to buy everything.

If you have to purchase a monitor, keyboard, and mouse in addition to the Mac-mini...then I totally agree that you're pretty much (from a value perspective) better off buying a lower end iMac.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
A Windows desktop switcher would already have a monitor, mouse, and keyboard but they should get an Apple keyboard to make it less confusing when using all the Mac specific keys. This means the extra expense would be $50 at the most. A person can use a Windows keyboard though if they really don't want the extra expense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
And don't forget how comfortable the mini feels tethered to a HDTV. If you are not locked into the idea of a typical desk and chair style workspace, consider the mini in the living room. A bluetooth keyboard and trackpad makes for a wonderful 60 inch computing experience while reclining in your favorite chair. Granted, I don't edit video or photos in this setup, but with my situation, I don't have to. But I think it is very feasible with a tv tray or something similar. On the positive side, you pick up a nice HTPC. I can't imagine not having my mini. It is a wonderfully economical machine!

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And don't forget how comfortable the mini feels tethered to a HDTV. If you are not locked into the idea of a typical desk and chair style workspace, consider the mini in the living room. A bluetooth keyboard and trackpad makes for a wonderful 60 inch computing experience while reclining in your favorite chair. Granted, I don't edit video or photos in this setup, but with my situation, I don't have to. But I think it is very feasible with a tv tray or something similar. On the positive side, you pick up a nice HTPC. I can't imagine not having my mini. It is a wonderfully economical machine!

Now I like that Idea!!! Haha, I may just end up using the laptop idea, maybe in that sense too. I am on a budget so that would help. I kind of need to keep the laptop too, I know it was suggested that I sell it earlier, but I use it all the time with school.

Thanks for the comments guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The Mini is a great media center and a good entry level computer for secondary use. It's biggest hamstring, IMO, is the slow HDD which is laptop standard rather than desktop. The iMac, on the other hand, has desktop standard HDDs.

Not only that, but the entry level iMac comes with 4GBs of RAM and a 3ghz i3, compared to 2GBs standard in the Mini and the 4-year old Core 2 Duo CPU. If you up the Mini processor to a 2.66ghz C2D (which is still a slouch by comparison) and 4GBs of RAM, it suddenly costs over $1,000.

I love my Mac Mini, but it's probably the poorest value Mac in the lineup. Sorry...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, i5, SSD & 1TB, 8 GB
The Mac Mini is a wonderful little over priced computer. As many have said if you already have the KVM (Keyboard, Monitor & Mouse) then it is a decent value. I bought the base 599 model and replaced the memory and HD myself. It is attached to my 24" Dell monitor that was on my Dell PC. It is a awesome computer that does all we ask it to do very fast. Since I'm not a power user, I don't notice any speed difference between any of the 3 Macs listed in my signature. But if you need a monitor, then I would just get the base iMac. As other posters have mentioned, you could plug a monitor to your MacBook and just use it as a desktop. That also gives you the mobility option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get a proper tower such as a Mac Pro as Mac Minis have all the problem associated with minimising hard and optical drives, no upgradeable graphic card etc. Just go through these forums to see the number of problems with optical drives and graphics on minis and MacBooks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.