Macbook Pro or Ipad

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
Hello

This may be a potentially stupid question but please dont flame me as I am completely new to Macs.

I will be purchasing a Imac for home use, an Iphone 4 and want something for mobile use.

I was looking at getting a 32 gig Wi Fi & 3g Ipad but for a little bit more money I can get a Mac Book Pro.

The MPB seems like the better option than the Ipad as it has:-

More space
More processing power
Bigger screen
More flexibility

but it would be quite nice to be able to retain the apps feature of the Ipad/Iphone on the MBP.

Is it possible to use Ipad/Iphone apps on a MBP or would the apps not work?

Does anyone reccomend going for a Ipad instead as so far all my friends I have asked who have Ipads have said they are a waste of money.

Thanks in advance.

Clive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
MBP vs iPad are to different creatures.. If you have the cash, and want the ability to do the same things you can do on the iMac.. the MBP is the way to go.. (or Macbook, or Macbook Air).

Reaction score
I second that. From what I've read, you can't even print from an iPad (if this is wrong, please someone disabuse me).

A MBP is an actual computer. An iPad is just a gadget; trendy and appealing, yes, but still a gadget.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The iPad (IMHO)...is NOT a computer replacement. You already have an iMac & an iPhone. Really...as far as I know...the only real difference between the iPhone & the iPad is the size of the display (of course you can make phone calls on the iPhone).

If you need a portable/mobile computing device...what tasks are you doing? The iPhone can do anything the iPad can do...and is MUCH more portable (just a smaller display).

If you need a mobile/portable computing device to do more than what an iPhone or iPad can do...then a laptop is probably the device to purchase.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
More importantly, the iPad is intended to be a "companion" to an existing PC/Mac.

Apple considers the traditional PC to be a "hub", with devices like the iPod, AppleTV and iPad as extensions of that hub. Without a PC, you can't even activate the device.

If you had a desktop machine and were looking for a portable to surf the web, keep up on email and do some light productivity apps, then the iPad is probably a good cost-conscious choice. But if you're looking for a full-blown portable PC, then the MacBook/Pro is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Sounds like a white MacBook is a better match than a MBP for you if you're not doing heavy video editing or graphics-intensive work/projects. The iPad is fine if you don't mind some restrictions and you prefer the iOS app only way of doing things.
Printing is coming to iPad in the Fall with the iOS 4.2 release. I believe it's called Air Print. The iPad isn't a toy, it can be versatile and useful but it's really not a full-fledged computer.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the helpful replies on this. I am still in two minds so am gonna pop into the store and have a play with an Ipad.

Really want a MBP but just dont know if its overkill with a new Imac and Iphone 4.

C

chas_m

clive12 makes a good point ... an MBP is undoubtedly a superior COMPUTER to the iPad, but is it really a better choice for someone who already has an iMac at home AND an iPhone?

I'd say it depends hugely on what they plan to do with (either machine) while they're on the road. Most people actually use their portables for pretty basic stuff 99% of the time ... email, surf, play games, watch video, simple office crap, and ... well that's about it really.

If that's what you'll mostly be doing on the road, then the iPad sounds perfect. It overlaps the iPhone a bit, definitely ... but it's larger (and not JUST an iPhone with no phone and a bigger screen, contrary to pigoo's contention).

OTOH, some people use their laptops to do what I would call "real work" -- complex documents, Excel crap, video editing, programming and so forth. If that sounds more along the lines of what you want to do on the road, then you want an MB or MBP and let the iPhone handle the "light duty" stuff for you.

Of course the iPad can also double as a great light entertainment device for the home in a way the MBP can't, but that may not be germane to your deliberations.

Finally for Lord Alveric: *currently* the iPad has no practical printing system, but that's expected to change in November with iOS 4.2. So at the moment, you are correct (unless you really want to get into the "Scotty" type jury-rigged solutions).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 4th gen Touch
How did it go at the Apple store? Does your silence since then indicate that you've made the purchase?

To me, the simplest breakdown is that the iPad is better for play, while the Macbook is better for work. At least for most people. I like online fora, so the Macbook was the clear choice for me, as it is much easier for a fast typist to type on, and I'm a fast typist. Jobs said they wanted the iPad to be better at a few key things. I think they've done a good job overall, but I still prefer surfing on my MacBook to anything else. (I don't have an iPad, but I used my cousin's briefly and I have an Touch)

To be fair, one cannot compare the versatility of the MacBooks to an iPad without also taking into consideration the size & weight difference. It is a huge difference. The iPad is a lot smaller and thinner than any MacBook. To me, it didn't make much of a difference, since the iPad is still too big to go in a pocket. It takes less room in a bag, but is probably less durable due to the extreme thinness of it.

I think you made a mistake getting an iMac. You should've gotten a high end MacBook instead, unless you really feel you need that big display.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did it go at the Apple store? Does your silence since then indicate that you've made the purchase?

To me, the simplest breakdown is that the iPad is better for play, while the Macbook is better for work. At least for most people. I like online fora, so the Macbook was the clear choice for me, as it is much easier for a fast typist to type on, and I'm a fast typist. Jobs said they wanted the iPad to be better at a few key things. I think they've done a good job overall, but I still prefer surfing on my MacBook to anything else. (I don't have an iPad, but I used my cousin's briefly and I have an Touch)

To be fair, one cannot compare the versatility of the MacBooks to an iPad without also taking into consideration the size & weight difference. It is a huge difference. The iPad is a lot smaller and thinner than any MacBook. To me, it didn't make much of a difference, since the iPad is still too big to go in a pocket. It takes less room in a bag, but is probably less durable due to the extreme thinness of it.

I think you made a mistake getting an iMac. You should've gotten a high end MacBook instead, unless you really feel you need that big display.

Got Imac, Iphone 4.0 and Ipad. The MPB was tempting but a bit too much overkill for something to use on the train. It turns out I can edit photos and produce documents on the ipad plus surf, email and use other apps.

I prefer desktops to laptops which is why I went for the Imac for something for indoors. Also worked out a bit cheaper doing it the way I did so am very pleased.

Thanks once again for all the help on this :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2010 MBP
I think you made a good choice especially if you were only using a portable device sometimes (Like on a train). You do not need a MBP or MB just for that. The iMac is a great machine. I hope you enjoy your new tech!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think you made a good choice especially if you were only using a portable device sometimes (Like on a train). You do not need a MBP or MB just for that. The iMac is a great machine. I hope you enjoy your new tech!

Thanks Ben I am very impressed with the Ipad and the Iphone 4 after my 3g Iphone.

Reaction score
Got Imac, Iphone 4.0 and Ipad. The MPB was tempting but a bit too much overkill for something to use on the train. It turns out I can edit photos and produce documents on the ipad plus surf, email and use other apps.

I prefer desktops to laptops which is why I went for the Imac for something for indoors. Also worked out a bit cheaper doing it the way I did so am very pleased.

Thanks once again for all the help on this :)

Darn it, I'm too late :( I was going to suggest skipping the iMac and iPad for the MBP, since it's mobile and can be used as a desktop in clamshell mode (closed shut) when used with an external keyboard and monitor (can be your tv). Either way, I like the iPad a lot - very easy to carry around and convenient for what it does, with a great screen to boot. I'm sure you'll enjoy all 3 devices. You must be in apple heaven right now :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBPr 2013 15" i7 2.7 16GB 500f /24" Cinema Disp /iP 4S /Mag.Mouse&Trackp/ aTV2 / ModBookC2D
It is one of those questions like ... Should I buy Kavasaki Ninja Motorbike or Audi TT GTs .. It only depends what you need .. to feel the wind in your hair or to feel safety under the alloy roof in the rainy day. Both are fast and relevant for what they are prepared to. In other words .. you can't compare them. My advise is buy them both :p

Reaction score
Have a Similar Dilemma

I have a similar dilemma. I teach college and am on campus all day on 3 days a week. Lugging my MBP 17 around is becoming a bit uncomfortable. I was considering an iPad to access the internet and possibly grade some papers. Is it possible to download, view, and add track changes to a Word document from an iPad. Would I need Microsoft Office installed on the iPad? If I can't do this, then a MBP 13 will have to be the answer. I just don't want to buy another full blown computer if I don't have to.
Any suggestions or do I need to go to the Apple store?

C

chas_m

Is it possible to download, view, and add track changes to a Word document from an iPad.

Maybe. At the moment I am not aware of any iPad app that lets you track/add changes to MS Word documents, but I've seen strong demand for such a feature so I would expect it will be added to either Pages for iPad or some third-party app like Documents to Go, Goodreader or QuickOffice in due course. I may not be fully up-to-date on all of them, so this feature may already exist but I couldn't find any successful reference to it.

Would I need Microsoft Office installed on the iPad?

No. See above. Microsoft Office does not appear to be interested in an iPad version of their applications, and have indicated they don't plan to make one (since Pages is already out for it).

Any suggestions or do I need to go to the Apple store?

An Apple genius may be aware of more options than I am, but at *this moment* it looks like you'll need a MacBook or MacBook Air. As I say, that could literally change tomorrow and is VERY likely to change in the near future, so you might want to invest in the iPad anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2010 2.4 GHz 2gig RAM 320gig HD
The advice being given for MBP is not to buy now unless you have no other option as it is at the end of a cycle. Read THIS

Reaction score
Glad to hear you are enjoying your new gadget.

I think I would have gone for the 17" MBP + iphone combo as theres really not much difference between the iphone and ipad aside from the screen size.

Maybe this thread will help others in the same situation decide too...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I am using the iPad now for 2 months and it has replaced my MBP to a great extend for day to day activities.
If I could do Lotus Notes on the iPad , that would make the story complete.
I believe CWA is right by saying that iPad is a companion device to the PC right now, but the concept of iPad is slowly eating away the need to have a full fledged PC.
( except for CPU intensive apps. Off course )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I am using a MBP,iPad and a iPhone and none of them replace the other they all have their advantages and disadvantages but having all 3 makes life a lot easier.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.