Garageband export help

O

october

This is a Garageband question. I love using garageband, but I keep finding little problems that are making me not like it.

So I set up the volume on my tracks, and tweak them at spots, and I really like how it sounds. Then I click export to Itunes and its definitely not the way it mixed it. The vocals will be to quiet and the drums will be to loud. I don't know what to do to avoid this other than having to set the volume up high in garage band so it will even out when I export it, which would be very annoying.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, try turning off 'Sound Check' in the iTunes preferences:

That'll adjust the volume of the song to match it to the rest in the library.

Also make sure you don't have any equalizers on (apple + 2 and untick the checkbox...)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Do you have an equalizer on in iTunes? That could modify the sound quite a bit.

EDIT: AptMunich beat me to it. What he said is exactly right

OP
O

october

I just tried taking off the equalizer, but the vocals are still lower than they are in garage band. It's not a small different, garage band the vocals are loud, but its so quiet in itunes. I just find it weird that it is doing this..I guess ill try turning the vocals up really loud and see what it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What are you using to listen to the mix? The same speakers/headphones as for iTunes?
Do you have an external soundcard hooked up for garageband? Is iTunes configured to play through that?

Reaction score
I discovered the same problem recently when I completed my latest masterpiece. Strangely, it sounds fine exported as an mp3, through headphones, on itunes. However, when I play it through my ipod in the car the sound's really trebly and flat.

Check all the volume levels on your original Garageband track and adjust them if they're going into the red. This sometimes distorts the sound and quietens bits.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah - don't mix tracks through headphones... Not a good idea.

I'd try a song out on all different types of systems to see if you're getting the mix you want..

OP
O

october

to be honest, i think i just made a stupid mistake. It kept exporting it out as a different name as what I originally set it as, so I kept listening to the same one instead of the different mixes..so I think it is working fine.

Thanks for the help though.

I normally do a rough mix through headphones while i'm recording, and then through computer speakers..then to finalize it I hook it to my receiver through my stereo speakers..then the finally test is in the car haha. For some reason, I don't have a nice system in my car, but everything sounds so clear in it.

So all is well, i'm actually sort of learning more about garage band that makes me love it, but there are a few things..like panning, that you just have to set on your own through a mixer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
this is weird but im having the opposite problem.....itunes is really quiet and every other application is really loud especially in quicktime....and is the itunes equalizer "global" its not just for itunes? sorry for "jacking" your thread october

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.